Students may be able to get high school credits for learning opportunities they take on their own to support career and life planning. These external courses:
- are not part of provincial curriculum
- happen outside school through government-recognized organizations (for example, Canadian Armed Forces, Lifesaving Society)
- give students a more personalized and flexible way to complete high school
- let students pursue their passions and earn up to 5 credits toward a high school diploma or certificate
- are not substitutes for required high school courses
- do not require Alberta Education pre-requisites for students to participate
- do not provide funding to school authorities
While students initiate the request for credits, their school is responsible for following Alberta Education’s processes for external course approval and awarding credits.
Alberta Education will review the external learning opportunity and ensure the providing organization is fulfilling its responsibilities and meeting course requirements.
Approved external learning opportunities will be listed in the Provincially Authorized Senior High School Courses and Course Codes.
For more details, visit High School credits for external learning.