COVID-19 Updates: Protecting Albertans from the Omicron variant.
Designated industrial property owners will receive a Request for Information (RFI) from the provincial assessor’s office before the end of the assessment year.
The package contains a RFI guide or reference, as well as a pre-populated inventory that shows current provincial database records for your designated industrial property.
This is an opportunity for property owners to participate in the assessment of their properties by updating, adding, removing or otherwise correcting inventory details.
The RFI indicates a deadline for the response. It is important to respond to this request in a timely manner as it may impact the eligibility of future complaints filed against the resulting assessment.
The RFI is just one of the methods that the provincial assessor’s office uses to collect data on properties.
Other sources include data from the Alberta Energy Regulator, Alberta Utilities Commission, the Canadian Energy Regulator (formerly the National Energy Board), and other government departments, along with routine field and site inspections throughout the year.
2021 Assessment year
RFI response deadlines
|RFI type||Date of request||Response deadline|
|Land, buildings, structures, machinery and equipment (industrial)||August 20, 2021||October 29, 2021|
|Cable; electric power generation; electric power transmission and distribution; gas distribution; pipeline; railway; pipeline, gas distribution and Saskatchewan wells; telecommunication carriers (linear)||August 26, 2021||November 2, 2021|
2021 Allocation area guides
The RFI references the allocation area, identified as the administrative areas defined by the provincial assessor and used to determine which municipality the designated industrial property is located.
- 2021 Allocation Area Guide (PDF, 360 KB) (not applicable to Gas Distribution and Wells)
- 2021 Allocation Area Maps (PDF, 18 MB) (not applicable to Gas Distribution and Wells)
- 2021 Allocation Area ESRI files (ZIP, 9 MB) (not applicable to Gas Distribution and Wells)
- 2021 Allocation Area MapInfo files (ZIP, 5.4 MB) (not applicable to Gas Distribution and Wells)
RFI – Guides and forms
Land, buildings, structures, machinery and equipment (industrial)
- 2021 Assessment year (AY) RFI (PDF, 176 KB)
- RFI reference guide: land, buildings, structures, and machinery and equipment (PDF, 77 KB)
Linear RFI declaration form
- 2021AY RFI declaration (linear property only) (PDF, 1.1 MB)
Cable distribution undertakings (linear)
- Cable distribution undertakings: 2021 AY – Read me first (PDF, 95 KB)
- Cable distribution undertakings: 2020 AY – RFI reference guide (PDF, 275 KB)
Electric power generation (linear)
- Electric power generation: 2021 AY – Read me first (PDF, 135 KB)
- Electric power generation: 2021 AY – RFI reference guide (PDF, 158 KB)
Electric power transmission and distribution (linear)
- Electric power transmission and distribution: 2021 AY – Read me first (PDF, 95 KB)
- Electric power transmission and distribution: 2021 AY – RFI reference guide (PDF, 282 KB)
Pipeline, gas distribution, and Saskatchewan wells (linear)
- Pipeline: 2021 AY – Read me first (PDF, 88 KB)
- Pipeline: 2021 AY – RFI reference guide (PDF, 274 KB)
- Gas Distribution: 2021 AY – Read me first + RFI (PDF, 104 KB)
- Saskatchewan wells: 2021 AY – Read me first (PDF, 138 KB)
- Saskatchewan wells: 2021 AY – RFI reference guide (PDF, 192 KB)
Telecommunication carriers (linear)
- Telecommunication carriers: 2021 AY – Read me first (PDF, 88 KB)
- Telecommunication carriers: 2021 AY – RFI reference guide (PDF, 249 KB)
- Supplementary Assessment: DI Industrial 2021 TY (PDF, 81 KB)
- Supplementary Assessment: DI Linear 2021 TY (PDF, 148 KB)
Letters of authorization
A letter of authorization or renewal is required when someone other than your company staff is requesting or discussing your company’s designated industrial property assessment information.
Letters of authorization are valid for the tax year in which they are filed. A copy of your company’s request for information will also be forwarded to your authorized representative in the current tax year.
Note, a different authorization form is required when filing an assessment complaint. For more information, read more on assessment complaints.
Connect with the Provincial Assessor’s office:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected] (DIP – Industrial assessments)
Email: [email protected] (DIP – Linear assessments)
Assessment Services Branch
15th Floor, 10155 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L4
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.