Of interest to Engineering Consultants and the Department's Construction Contract Administrators, this section contains documents that clarify and supplement information contained in the Engineering Consultant Guidelines for Highway, Bridge and Water Projects (Volume 1) – Design and Tender as well as other transportation technical documents.
Superseded and obsolete Design Bulletins can be found below, following the Active Design Bulletins.
To receive notifications when updates occur, subscribe to the One Window Notification.
Documents on this site require Acrobat Reader 4.0 or better, available for free from Adobe. For Chrome users, if you are having issues viewing any of these documents, please make sure you have the Adobe Reader enabled on your plugins.
Active design bulletins
Inactive design bulletins
- 1 – Roadside Design – Clear Zones, Barriers etc. (Superseded January 2008)
- 2 – Guardrail Posts – Use of Plastic Materials (Superseded January 2008)
- 5 – Design of Roadside Turnouts on Log Haul Routes (Superseded June 2015)
- 7 – Guidelines for Establishment of No Passing Zones (Superseded September 2020)
- 8 – Roadside Design Practices for Alberta: An Update on Barriers, Guardrail, Clear Zone, more (Superseded January 2008)
- 9 – Details of Pavement Sideslope During Various Stages of Pavement Construction, Rehabilitation and Widening (Superseded June 2005)
- 10 – Guidelines for Selection of Design Designations on Alberta Highways (Superseded June 2005)
- 11 – Engineering Consultant Guidelines For Highway and Bridge Projects Volume 1, Design and Tender 2002 Revisions – April 2003 (Superseded in 2011)
- 12 – Access Management Guidelines – Rural Commercial Type Access on Freeway and Major Expressway Corridors – July 2003 (Superseded October 2005)
- 14 – Best Practices for Centreline/Crown Shift on Divided Highways (Rescinded)
- 16 – Drainage Guidelines for Highways Under Provincial Jurisdiction in Urban Areas (Superseded February 2022)
- 19 – Engineering Consultant Guidelines For Highway and Bridge Projects Volume 1, Design and Tender 2002 Design Cross-Sections on Major Grading Projects (Superseded in 2011)
- 20 – Highway Safety Rest Areas – Update to Highway Geometric Design Guide - Section F.2 (Superseded May 2007)
- 21 – Engineering Consultant Guidelines For Highway and Bridge Projects Volume 1, Design and Tender 2002 Revisions to Sections 3.4, 3.5 and Current References for Section 3 – November 2003 (Superseded in 2011)
- 22 – Clearance Boxes for Railway Overpass/Underpass and Typical Details for Highway grade Separation (Superseded January 2008)
- 24 – Roadside Design - Refinements to Practice (Superseded January 2008)
- 26 – Amendments to Traffic Accommodation Manual – Temporary Barrier Requirements on Long Duration Bridge Construction Projects and Requirements for Precast "F" Shaped Barrier (Permanent and Temporary Installations) (Superseded October 2008) (Updated November 2015)
- 28 – Highway Geometric Design Guide Chapter I – Access Management Guidelines, October 5 (Superseded March 2015)
- 29 – Amendments to Typical Barrier Drawing Manual (TEB Designated Drawings) (Superseded January 2008)
- 30 – Best Practices for Planning and Design of Freeway Facilities (Superseded December 2021)
- 31 – Roundabouts: An Information Guide (Superseded May 2010)
- 37 – Zone of Intrusion Behind Barrier Systems (Superseded January 2008)
- 38 – Vehicle Inspection Stations / Rest Area in Highway Median (Superseded February 2021)
- 40 – Land Acquisition Terms of Reference (Superseded 2011)
- 41 – Double Speed Infraction Fine Signage in Active Work Areas in Construction Zones (Superseded 2008)
- 42 – Highway Geometric Design Guide Chapter E Interchanges – Shoulder Ramp Width (Superseded December 2021)
- 43 – Painted Lane Width for Alberta Highways (Superseded April 2018)
- 46 – Project Sponsor Sign-Off on Environmental and Regulatory Applications (Superseded 2011)
- 48 – Fabrication of Type SC and SCC Precast Concrete Girders Using Normal Weight Concrete (Rescinded)
- 49 – Refinements to SRA Guidelines on Ramp Configuration, Parking Requirements and Right of Way (Superseded April 2015)
- 50 – Fluorescent Yellow Sheeting for Warning Signs (Superseded August 2012)
- 53 – Project Identification Signs for Capital Construction Projects (Superseded 2014)
- 54 – Divided Highway Cross Section with C-D Road or Exit Ramp/Entrance Ramp on Alberta Highways 2007(Superseded December 2021)
- 66 – Highway Geometric Design Guide, Chapter B, Climbing Lane Warrants for Two Lane Undivided and Four Lane Divided Highways – Revised (Superseded September 2020)
- 67 – Median Crossovers on Rural Divided Highways (Superseded February 2022)
- 69 – Project Identification Sign for Capital Construction Projects (Superseded 2014)
- 70 – Highway Geometric Design Guide, Centreline to Centreline Spacing for New Rural Divided Highways (Superseded February 2022)
- 72 – Design Standards and Practice Exception Request Process (Superseded January 2018)
- 73 – Control of Clubroot in Soil Disturbance Work (Superseded 2013)
- 84 – Considerations for Selection of Freeway Over/Under Configuration at Service Interchanges (Superseded December 2021)
- 85 – Late Merge (Zipper Merge) Traffic Accommodation Strategy for High Traffic Volume Work Zones along Provincial Highways (Superseded 2018)
- 97 – Project Identification Signs for Capital Highway Construction and Rehabilitation Projects(Rescinded 2022)
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.