Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Application status: Open
Applicants must submit an application form, supporting documentation, and participate in an interview to be considered for the grant.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Meet all requirements to get a Class 1 driver’s licence, excluding training and testing requirements the grant will support, namely:
- Hold an Alberta non-probationary driver’s licence. This means be at least 18 years of age, have exited from the Graduated Driver Licensing Program, can apply for a commercial driver’s licence, have passed a vision screening, and be a resident of Alberta.
- Have a satisfactory Alberta driver’s medical examination report.
- Be unemployed or under-employed (receiving Employment Insurance or working 29 hours or fewer per week on average) and able to financially support oneself for the duration of training.
- Meet Canadian citizenship requirements (Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or convention refugee) and legally entitled to work and train in Canada. Refugees under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act must have:
- convention refugee status
- a notice of decision issued
- a valid work permit
- applied for and received a study permit
- Have a clean 3-year driver’s abstract with no demerits, licence cancellations, or suspensions.
- Be ready, willing, and able to participate in training (assessed in an interview).
- Planning to seek full-time employment in the commercial transportation industry (assessed in an interview).
- Have sufficient English language skills to succeed in driver training and testing as commercial licensing is only available in English (assessed in an interview).
How to apply
If you meet the eligibility requirements above, follow these steps to apply:
- Read the Driving Back to Work Grant Program Applicant Guide.
- Fill out the Driving Back to Work Grant Program Application Form.
- Submit the completed application form and attachments to Ballad Group at [email protected].
- Follow directions from Ballad Group to complete the application process.
For questions related to applications, eligibility, and the status of your grant application, contact:
950, 10104 103rd Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta Canada T5J 0H8
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.