To ensure that industry best practices are understood, applied and adapted to Alberta’s needs, forums for building technical capacity, communication, cooperation and collaboration between dam owners, regulators, industry and professionals are necessary. Alberta Dam Safety seeks opportunities for partnerships that deliver content tailored to those involved in operations and dam safety assessments and evaluations in Alberta.
2022-23 Dam Safety Webinar Series
In partnership with the Canadian Dam Association (CDA), Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation (AGI) organized a webinar series on the dam safety methodologies and advanced technologies currently being applied to AGI’s dam infrastructure and Canadian dams. The series was intended for dam owners, engineers, engineering technologists, operators, and regulators who are interested in learning from the experiences of other professionals.
- Assessment, Repair, Rehabilitation of Concrete Structures (originally streamed December 14, 2022)
George Casagran, P.Eng
- Assessment, Repair, Rehabilitation and Monitoring of Flow Control Equipment (originally streamed January 11, 2023).
Jeff Barnard, P.Eng
- Advanced Surveillance Techniques for Inspection and Monitoring of Dams
(originally streamed January 27, 2023)
Amie Sneddon, P.Eng
Amy Swerid, MA Sc., P.Eng
Andrew Bayliss, P.Eng
Michael Davis, P.E.
- Detection of Seepage through Dams/Abutments using Non-Destructive Investigation Techniques (originally streamed February 22, 2023) – Video link will expire May 23, 2023.
Mohammad Al-Mamun, M.Sc.Eng, P.Eng
Pierre Choquet, Dr.Eng., P.Eng
Patrick Finlay, P.Geoph.
Kyle Haugrud, P.Eng
- Desktop Estimation of Consequence Classification of Dams using Advanced Technologies and Tools (originally streamed March 15, 2023) – Video link will expire June 15, 2023.
Dai Thomas, Ph.D., MS, BE
Kyle Shour, MS, BE
Babak Alinejad, MBA, BE
2021-22 Dam Safety Webinar Series
In partnership with the Canadian Dam Association (CDA), the Alberta government presented a series of technical webinars highlighting practical applications of assessment and evaluation methodologies and techniques used by the government as a dam owner:
- Helping to Make the Right Call: The Government of Alberta's Approach to Risk-Informed Decision Making (originally streamed December 16, 2021)
Stephen Rigbey, M.A.Sc, P.Eng
Richard Donnelly, M.A.Sc, P.Eng
Joe Groeneveld, P.Eng
James Rutherford, P.E., P.Eng
- From Levels to Drones: Solutions for Modern Engineering & Deformation Monitoring Surveys of Dams (originally streamed January 19, 2022)
Nathan Kroeker, ALS
Jason Deschamps, ALS, P.Eng, MBA
- Inspection and Surveillance of Dams (originally streamed February 24, 2022)
Andrew Szojka, P.Eng
Allen Veenland, P.Eng
Pierre Choquet, Dr.Eng, P.Eng
Savanna Herman, P.Eng
- Seepage Management and Internal Erosion Mitigation and Repair in Water Dams (originally streamed March 15, 2022)
Alistair James, P.Eng
Damien Engelbrecht, P.Eng
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.