Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
A Dairy Processor Licence allows an individual to operate a dairy processing facility in Alberta. Under the dairy processor licence, the Alberta government’s Meat and Dairy Inspection Section (MDIS) provides inspection services; these allow milk to be further processed into milk or dairy products that can be sold for human consumption.
Licence holders are responsible for the following:
- reviewing and following applicable legislation and other licensing requirements
- adequately labelling product
- using potable water
- ensuring compliance with bylaws in their county or municipality
All licensed dairy processors must meet the requirements of the Dairy Industry Act and Dairy Industry Regulation. They must also follow these legislative requirements.
- Dairy Industry Act
- Dairy Industry Regulation
- Food Processing Development Centre: Pasteurizer operator licensing course
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- National Building Code-2019
- Marketing of Agricultural Products Act
- Food and Drugs Act
- Food retail and foodservices code
- Food Regulation
- Alberta Milk
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency – Food labelling for industry
- Alberta Farm Animal Care (AFAC)
You can apply for a Dairy Processor Licence if you:
- can lawfully operate a business in Alberta
- are at least 18 years of age
5-year licence fee: $50
Licences are valid for 5 years.
Apply, update or renew your licence
If you are interested in applying for, renewing or updating your licence, contact Meat and Dairy Inspection Section (MDIS) at:
Email: [email protected]
Agriculture and Irrigation
J.G. O’Donoghue Building
7000 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5T6
Connect with the Meat and Dairy Inspection Section:
Email [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.