COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
CYB Challenge 1 and CYB Challenge 2:
- RCP will hold complementary CYB Challenge 1 and 2 competitions for future CFI Cyberinfrastructure competitions, as announced by the CFI.
Due to potential disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, deadlines are subject to change in connection with changes made by the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
The Cyberinfrastructure Initiative (CYB) stream enhances the capacity of Canadian institutions and researchers to conduct leading-edge research in areas of demonstrated strength by supporting the infrastructure needs of computationally-and data-intensive research. The CYB coordinates with the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)’s Cyberinfrastructure Initiative.
The RCP will support the infrastructure needs of computationally and data-intensive research in alignment with institutional priorities and the government priorities, such as the Alberta Research Innovation Framework (ARIF). To do this, it will invest in a limited number of research data infrastructure projects in collaboration with Compute Canada.
There are 2 challenges under the CYB:
- Challenge 1: Funding for institutional research data infrastructure projects that, in collaboration with Compute Canada, enable communities of researchers, data scientists, data analysts, software developers, and other experts to devise optimal ways of organizing and using research data resources.
- Challenge 2: Funding will be provided for upgrading and modernizing computational and data storage capacities of the pan-Canadian advanced research computing platform, managed by Compute Canada.
RCP will fund up to 40% of the total eligible project costs for successful applications.
- Canadian universities
- research hospitals
- non-profit research institutions recognized by CFI as eligible
For applications submitted under Challenge 2, the administrative institution must be a member of Compute Canada as well as a CFI-eligible institution. Please note that eligible costs are those costs identified according to the CFI requirements.
See the CFI’s Policy and Program Guide for more details.
How to apply
The RCP is institutional in nature; applications must be completed by researchers and submitted by the institution.
Any interested researcher should consult their institution’s Research Services Office for intake processes. See the RCP Program Guidelines for more details.
After you apply
Your application will be reviewed by RCP’s Multidisciplinary Review Panel. The review process occurs in 3 stages:
- Expert review (where applicable, CFI and grant-specific partnership agency expert reviews are used)
- Independent review by the Multidisciplinary Review Panel
- Decisions by the Minister of Jobs, Economy and Innovation
Awarded projects will be given a contractual grant agreement. This agreement will outline the terms and conditions of support and must be signed by both parties (institutional representative and Jobs, Economy and Innovation representative) prior to the release of payment.
As a part of this agreement, institutions must regularly report on the financial status of projects and on the outcomes achieved. The schedule and reporting requirements will be outlined in the agreement. Both parties must agree to any significant variations in project scope or other requirements of the contract.
Reporting requirements for awarded projects consists of 2 components:
- RCP Financial Accountability Report Template (XLSM, 39 KB)
- RCP Outcomes Report Template (DOCX, 85 KB)
If you have questions about the application submission process, or to submit application documents, please contact:
Research Capacity Program
c/o Innovation Support Unit
Jobs, Economy and Innovation
13th Floor, Commerce Place
10155 102 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 4G8
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.