COVID-19 response: Alberta Media Fund changes
While the Alberta government’s immediate priority is on the frontline response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ll continue to honour Alberta Media Fund grant commitments in support of our cultural industries.
Cultural Industry Grants updates:
- expediting the distribution of the 2020-21 funding for existing Cultural Industries Operational Grants to eligible organizations in publishing and sound-recording
- the intake for Cultural Industries Organization Operating and Project Grants will not be taking applications, until further notice as a result of efforts to streamline the disbursement of operational funding
If you have questions or concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
Application deadline: June 1, 2020 at 11:59 pm. (intake paused)
Intake opens 60 days prior to the deadline.
If the deadline falls on a holiday or a weekend, it will be extended to the next working day at 11:59 pm.
The Cultural Industry Organization Operating Grant provides funding to help cover annual operating expenses for organizations that publish books, magazines or sound recordings.
This grant, under the Alberta Media Fund, supports the growth and sustainability of Alberta’s cultural organizations by helping them employ talented professionals, develop intellectual property and create quality products.
Eligible organizations receive a base amount as determined by their average cost of goods sold over a 3-year period, as outlined below.
Cost of goods sold
Less than $10,001
$10,001 - $99,999
More than $99,999
To be considered eligible, your organization must be primarily engaged in the production of:
- sound recordings
Your organization must also:
- be registered and be in good standing with the appropriate legislation
- be Alberta based and in operation for at least 2 years
- be owned by Alberta residents
- have published or produced at least 2 products 12 months prior to the application date
Review program guidelines for all eligibility requirements.
Eligible book publishers
Prior to applying, eligible book publishers must have:
- at least $15,000 in sales in the fiscal year
- no more than $1,000,000 in annual sales over 3 fiscal years
Eligible applicants publish books that:
- are permanent-bound
- are at least 48 printed pages
- are in editions of at least 500 copies
- have at least 50% of printed copies eligible for sale
Eligible applicants publish eBooks that:
- are available through major online retailers
- are at least 48 pages of print equivalent
- have at least 75% of all eBook titles for sale
Eligible magazine publishers
To be eligible to apply, you must publish or plan to publish magazines that:
- publish magazines of literary, artistic or children’s interest (500 copies in print)
- have editorial policies controlled by an editor/editorial board
- have a policy that the copyright for all published material resides with the author
- have a clear distinction between editorial content and advertising
Eligible sound recording companies
To be eligible as a sound recording company, revenues from sales, publishing royalties and license fees from the last fiscal year must exceed $20,000.
Eligible sound recording companies must also:
- develop, produce, license, release, promote and distribute sound recordings
- Be a FACTOR recognized distributor or hold a minimum of 3 nationally recognized vendor numbers
- have the production copyright of the sound recording(s) owned or licensed by the label for each recording released
Operating expenses eligible for funding include, but are not limited to:
- pay for permanent employees, artists and contractors
- maintenance of equipment and fixed assets
How to apply
Step 1: Review the guidelines
Review the Operating Grant Stream Guidelines (PDF, 346 KB) to ensure you understand the requirements.
Step 2: Get a preliminary eligibility assessment
First-time applicants must contact program staff at least one month before the application deadline.
Step 3: Create an online profile
New applicants need to set up an online profile before filling out an application. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- first/last name
- company name
- preferred email address
Your login credentials will be emailed to you to complete the profile.
Step 4: Complete the application package
- Login to the Online Grant Application System to begin your application. Refer to the GATE Step-by-Step Guide for assistance.
Step 5: Submit your application
Submit your application and all supporting documents through the Online Grant Application System by June 1, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
Faxed, emailed, late or incomplete applications are not accepted.
After you apply
Your application will be assessed and scored using the Expert Panel Assessment Tool (PDF, 195 KB).
Applicants will be notified in writing of the result of their application and funding status after all recommendations have been approved.
Recipients must meet reporting requirements by either:
- satisfying the annual reporting requirements by providing a subsequent completed application form, and all supporting documents
- submitting a full report demonstrating funds were used as described in the application, if no subsequent applications are made along with the organizations most recent financial statement and annual return from Alberta Corporate Registries.