CowBytes is an easy-to-use, beef ration balancing software package. It allows you to balance for all the major nutrients and micro-nutrients. The program calculates the nutrient content of the rations based on the amount and quality of each feed included in the ration.
CowBytes also allows you to combine ration information with management and economics. This makes the software a decision-making tool for cattle producers or a teaching tool for an agricultural college or university.
Copies may be purchased by:
- Buy online: CD format or USB format
- Cheque or money order, please complete the order form and send it to our Publications Office.
- Calling 780-427-0391 (payment made using automated system and telephone keypad).
CowBytes is compatible with Microsoft XP, Vista and Windows 7, 8 and 10 operating systems.
There are several programs that will run CowBytes 5 on Mac computers. These include Boot Camp, Parallels, VMware Fusion and Crossover by Codeweavers. These programs are commercially available and cost from $49.95 to $79.99.
- To try the demo version, click here to download.
- To find out more about why CowBytes version 5.3.2 is required review the Q and A's (PDF, 62 KB) for CowBytes Release - March 15, 2012
CowBytes Version 5 Training Module Tutorials
- Tutorial 1 – Exercise 1 of 3 (PDF, 540 KB) - 1,400 lb Cow – 5 Months Pregnant
- Tutorial 1 – Exercise 2 of 3 (PDF, 609 KB) - 1,400 lb Cow – 7 Months Pregnant
- Tutorial 1 – Exercise 3 of 3 (PDF, 554 KB) - 1,400 lb Cow – Lactating
- Tutorial 2 (PDF, 1 MB) - 650 Pound Backgrounding Calf
- Tutorial 3 (PDF, 630 KB) - 1,100 lb Bred Heifer
- Tutorial 6 (PDF, 630 KB) - Using the Water Analysis Section
- Tutorial 7 (PDF, 314 KB) - Configuring CowBytes 5
Technical support provided by the Ag-Info Centre at 310-FARM (3276).