Status: Bill 70 introduced April 22, 2021
Ministry responsible: Health
Bill 70: the COVID-19 Related Measures Act has been introduced to provide Alberta’s health system with civil liability protection in the event of transmission or possible exposure to COVID-19 in health-care settings.
This protection does not currently exist in the Public Health Act or any other provincial legislation.
If passed, Bill 70 would ensure health services providers cannot be held liable for damages due to COVID-19 spread or exposure as long as they follow public health orders, guidance and legislation. Protection would not apply in the event of gross negligence.
The proposed legislation would apply to:
- Alberta Health Services
- regulated health professionals
- health service facilities, including:
- long-term care facilities
- licensed supportive living
- residential addiction treatment facilities
- any owner, employee, contractor, and others in these groups
- anyone else identified through future regulation as needed
If passed, Bill 70 would come into force upon proclamation and would be retroactive to March 1, 2020.
- Protecting health services from COVID-19 liability (April 22, 2021)