We are working to determine the number of double-crested cormorants in the Bonnyville area and assess possible impacts of cormorant activity on nearby fisheries in lakes.
You can help by sending us the location and size of cormorant colonies and foraging (feeding) groups until October 30, 2021.
- Determining cormorant numbers in the Bonnyville area.
- Completing movement surveys to determine where cormorants are coming from and where they are feeding.
- Collecting and analyzing cormorant diet samples to determine what the birds are feeding on.
- Identifying other birds that co-nest with cormorants, inventorying and implementing mitigation measures to prevent disturbance to these species.
- Managing cormorants through egg oiling to reduce the population sizes in the area.
- Completing fish community assessments on waterbodies in the Moose Lake area to determine number and size of fish and any population trends.
- Possibly completing angler effort surveys to understand angling pressure and harvest from waterbodies within the study area.