COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
COVID-19 response: TRA's online services and special notices
Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) encourages taxpayers to use electronic means (for example: Netfile, TRACS, secure email, electronic payment, etc.) to submit payments, registrations, applications, returns, claims, objections, waivers and appeals.
In order to reduce the necessity for taxpayers and tax preparers to meet in person, TRA will recognize electronic signatures. To add a digital signature, the form must first be downloaded or opened as a PDF.
For more information, see TRA online services.
Consumers may be required to complete a consumer fuel tax return and submit it to Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) when:
- they purchase fuel exempt or partially exempt and the fuel is subsequently used for an ineligible purpose
- the fuel was imported into Alberta in bulk
- the fuel was rebranded from a fuel with a lower tax rate to a fuel with a higher tax rate
Registration not required
Consumers are currently not required to register prior to completing and submitting a consumer fuel tax return.
Electronic signatures allowed
In order to reduce the necessity for taxpayers and tax preparers to meet in person, TRA will recognize electronic signatures. This administrative measure applies to all prescribed forms administered by TRA. To add a digital signature, the form must first be downloaded or opened as a PDF.
To submit your forms
Complete your forms and submit them to TRA.
How to file the return
A consumer fuel tax return must be received by TRA on or before the 28th day of the month following the month in which the fuel was imported, rebranded or used for an ineligible purpose. Consumer returns are only required to be filed when activity occurs.
Step 1: Fill out the return
- Complete the Consumer Fuel Tax Return (AT2080) (PDF, 291 KB).
Step 2: Submit your return
- Submit your completed return to TRA.
- You will be charged a penalty if you file your return late.
Step 3: Remit the amount owing
- Remit the amount owing (see Making payments).
- Interest will be charged on late remittances and will accrue until the balance is paid in full.
- If there were changes made to you return or a balance is owing, a notice of assessment will be mailed to you.
How to pay
Publications and forms
These documents discuss procedural matters and administrative policies and practices for programs administered by TRA. They are updated as necessary and a revision number assigned.
Cross-program information circulars
- TRA-1R1 – An Introduction to Tax and Revenue Administration (March 2018)
- TRA-2 – TRA Fairness and Service Pledge (July 2018)
- TRA-3 – Alberta Commodity Tax Acts – Voluntary Disclosures (November 2018)
Fuel tax information circulars
- FT-1R1 – Overview of Fuel Tax (February 2017)
- FT-7R1 – Assessments (February 2017)
- FT-8R1 – Collections (December 2020)
- FT-9R1 – Audits, Objections, and Waivers of Penalties and Interest (December 2020)
- FT-10R2 – Offences and Related Penalties (December 2020)
- See the Open Government Portal for the complete set of Fuel Tax information circulars.
These documents are used to announce changes to the legislation administered by TRA, or changes to administrative policies and practices carried out by TRA. These notices are time-specific, and meant to be transitory in nature. The information may eventually be incorporated into other publications, such as information circulars or web content.
- Vol. 1 No. 38 – Fuel Tax Amendments (February 2016)
- Vol. 1 No. 32 – Fuel Tax Amendment Regulation – Taxation of Renewable Fuels (PDF, 238 KB) (March 2011)
- See the Open Government Portal for the complete set of Fuel Tax special notices.
If you have trouble opening fillable PDF forms, see the form instructions.
- AT2080 – Fuel Tax Consumer Return (PDF, 291 KB) (October 2015)
- AT4762 – Notice of Objection (December 2020)
- AT4764 – Request for a Waiver of Penalties and Interest (PDF, 854 KB) (November 2020)
- AT4812 – Application for Direct Deposit (PDF, 174 KB) (April 2017)
- AT4931 – Alberta Consent Form (PDF, 328 KB) (November 2020)
- See tip sheet: Representatives – How to Access TRACS (PDF, 66 KB) (December 2020)
Sign up for updates
Complete your forms and email or fax them to:
Email: [email protected]
Connect with Tax and Revenue Administration
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.