Correctional peace officers perform a variety of security-related duties in:

  • adult correctional and remand centres
  • community service facilities
  • youth custody facilities

Adult inmates and youths have their own process to file complaints about correctional peace officers.

To make a complaint

Step 1. Write a letter

Prepare a letter that:

  • explains why you’re making a complaint
  • describes the incident
  • includes your contact information

Step 2. Send the letter

Send your letter, within 90 days of the incident, by mail or email to:

The centre director who’s responsible for the centre in which your complaint falls.

After you submit a complaint

The centre director or their designate will respond to your complaint in writing within 30 days.

The centre can try to resolve your complaint through:

  • an informal resolution between you and the peace officer involved, or
  • a formal investigation

After an investigation

You’ll be notified of the centre’s decision in writing.

If your complaint isn’t resolved

You can request a review within 30 days of getting the Adult Centre Operations Branch’s decision.

Step 1. Write a letter

Prepare a letter that explains why you disagree with the branch’s decision.

Step 2. Send the letter

Send your letter by mail or email to:

Executive Director
Adult Centre Operations Branch
10th Floor, John E. Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 3W7

Email: acobmail@gov.ab.ca