COVID-19 response

We have temporarily closed in-person Business Licencing services at our Commerce Place front-counter in Edmonton.

Licensees who are operating or entering into new transactions and contracts are still required to have a valid licence.

If you are experiencing issues with your renewal, including delays, contact the Business Licensing Office.

Questions may be directed to:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-422-1335

For more information, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.


A fundraising business is one that makes, manages, or is responsible for solicitations on behalf of a charitable organization. It provides these services for remuneration and is not an employee of the charitable organization.

A fundraising business could also include one that:

  • is hired by another business to make, manage, or be responsible for solicitations on behalf of a charitable organization
  • is not an employee of the other business


There is a one-year licensing fee of $130, payable to the Government of Alberta.

How to apply

You will need to complete an application form, provide a security, provide a copy of your fundraising agreement, and pay a licensing fee. To get started, follow these instructions to save and open the application and other applicable forms.

Failure to provide complete information will delay processing of your application and may result in a refund of your fees and closure of your file.

Step 1. Fill out the application form

Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?

Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:

  1. Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
  2. Launch Adobe Reader.
  3. Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.

Application for a Fundraising Business Licence (PDF, 125 KB)

Step 2. Obtain and provide security

Obtain and provide an original, signed security in the amount of $25,000*. You may get this security in one of 4 ways:

  • General Surety Bond
  • Cash Security Agreement accompanied by one of the following:
    • Irrevocable Letter of Credit
    • Cash (bank draft, money order or certified cheque payable to the Government of Alberta)
    • Term deposit or similar instrument in the name of the Government of Alberta, c/o Service Alberta, 3rd Floor, 10155 102 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4L4, in trust for (name of licensee)

Depending upon the option selected please do the following:

  • General Surety Bond (PDF, 121 KB)
    • The surety company will complete and provide you with a signed and sealed original of the form. You will need to review, sign, affix your company seal or have your signature witnessed, and provide the original to the address on the form.
    • The form may be found at (PDF, 121 KB). Please provide this address to your Surety Company.
  • Cash Security Agreement (PDF, 120 KB)
  • Irrevocable Letter of Credit (PDF, 119 KB)
    • The financial institution will complete and provide you with a signed original of the form letter. You will need to review and provide the original to the address on the form.
    • The form may be found at (PDF, 119 KB). Please provide this address to your financial institution.

* In accordance with the Security agreement, the security provided will be held for 2 years after the agreement expires or 2 years and 3 months (27 months) from the date the business licence expires, or the business closes or longer in the event of a claim being received. The amount of security given is a minimum security requirement. The amount could increase at the discretion of the Minister’s Designate of the Charitable Fundraising Act. When setting the security amount, the Director can consider the department’s previous history with the business and its partners or directors, the business’ financial history and criminal convictions.

Step 3. Provide fundraising agreement

You need to submit a copy of the fundraising agreement between your business and the charitable organization.

Your agreement must be in writing and include:

  • all the terms and conditions between the parties respecting the fundraising, including duties and responsibilities of both parties
  • the estimated amount of contributions to be received and an estimate of expenses and costs
  • the methods of soliciting contributions to be used
  • if the solicitations will involve selling goods and services, a description of the goods or services and the specific price for which the goods or services will be sold
  • the location of the account of the charitable organization into which monetary contributions are to be deposited
  • the charitable organization’s address and the name and telephone number of the contact person for the charitable organization
  • the fundraising business’ address and the name and telephone number of the contact person for the fundraising business

Your fundraising agreement must also establish the remuneration of the fundraising business and this must be:

  • a specific amount of money
  • a specified percentage of gross contributions, or
  • a combination of a specific amount of money and a specified percentage of gross contributions

Step 4. Submit the application form

Email your application form, a copy of your fundraising agreement and any required additional information to Provide your original security document(s) to the address noted on the form(s). You will be contacted to set-up online payment for the one-time $130 licensing fee.

You may also mail or drop off your application package to the address noted on the application. You may pay by credit card online, by credit card or debit card in person at our office, or you may mail a cheque or money order to our office.

When paying by cheque or money order please make it payable to the Government of Alberta.

Processing of your application will not start until payment is received.

After you apply

Licence takes effect the day the licence is issued.

It is your responsibility to ensure your licence is in force as long as you continue to do business. Once your licence is issued please make note of the expiry date and ensure your licence is renewed prior to this date.

Licence holders must notify Service Alberta in writing within 15 days of a change in:

  • business address
  • partners of the business if the licence is issued to a partnership
  • officers or directors of the corporation if the licence is issued to a corporation

Licence holders must notify Service Alberta in writing within 15 days of ceasing to carry on the activities for which the licence was issued.

Your responsibilities

  • A licensed charitable fundraising business must maintain complete and accurate records of all its operations in Alberta for at least 3 years after the solicitations are made.
  • If any of the applicant, partners, directors or officers primary residence is Out-of-Canada, a criminal record check is required from the jurisdiction of the individual’s primary residence which follows the requirements set out by Citizenship and Immigration Canada or a check provided by a local policing organization (i.e., state or municipal police service) provided the results include national records. For US applicants, a criminal history record information check performed by a vendor from this list is also acceptable.
  • Compliance

Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Queen’s Printer Bookstore.

Renewing a licence

You may use Service Alberta’s PABLO (Province of Alberta Business Licensing Online) to renew your licence.

PABLO System

This system is used for processing payments, printing issued licenses and renewing licenses.

  • Applications submitted by email, fax or without payment will have a user ID created in the name of the applicant and provided to their email address. They will need to submit payment or their application will not be processed.
  • Once issued, licenses are made available electronically for printing by the business. If an ID does not already exist one will be created and provided to the applicant’s email address along with notification the licence has been issued. If an ID was created for payment of the fees the applicant will receive an email notification the licence has been issued.
  • Within 60 days prior to the expiry of a licence a renewal may be processed using this system. Mark your calendar as a reminder so you stay continuously licensed.


Connect with Consumer Programs:

Phone: 780-422-1335

Service Alberta, Consumer Programs
3B Commerce Place
10155 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 4L4