We have temporarily closed in-person Business Licencing services at our Commerce Place front-counter in Edmonton.
Licensees who are operating or entering into new transactions and contracts are still required to have a valid licence.
- If your licence is set to expire and you are still operating, please complete your licence renewal as soon as possible via Province of Alberta Business Licensing Online (PABLO), or submit applications by email to email@example.com.
If you are experiencing issues with your renewal, including delays, contact the Business Licensing Office.
Questions may be directed to:
For more information, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.
A Cemetery Pre-Need Contract Salesperson Licence authorizes a person to solicit to enter or enter into pre-need contracts as an agent for a business who holds a pre-need contract sales licence.
Telephone and door-to-door contacts selling pre-need cemetery goods are prohibited unless specifically requested by the consumer. All other forms of direct sale, including mailing or distribution of brochures or other sales material, and other types of advertising in the media and on the Internet can continue.
There is a licensing fee of $100, payable to the Government of Alberta. This fee is for a one-year licence from April 1 to March 31. If you are applying after October 1, the licensing fee is $50.
How to apply
You will need to complete an application form, provide proof of qualifying examination, and pay a licensing fee. To get started, follow these instructions to save and open the application and other applicable forms.
Failure to provide complete information will delay processing of your application and may result in a refund of your fees and closure of your file.
Step 1. Fill out the application form
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Step 2. Provide proof of qualifying examination
Provide proof of qualifying examination through Alberta Funeral Services Regulatory Board.
Step 3. Submit the application form
Email your application form and proof of qualifying examination to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted to set-up online payment for the one-time $100 licensing fee ($50 after October 1).
You may also mail or drop off your application package to the address noted on the application. You may pay by credit card online, by credit card or debit card in person at our office, or you may mail a cheque or money order to our office.
When paying by cheque or money order please make it payable to the Government of Alberta.
Processing of your application will not start until payment is received.
After you apply
Licence takes effect the day the licence is issued.
A person who holds a pre-need contract sales license must notify the Director in writing within 5 days of any change to the name and address of the business locations they work for.
- If any of the applicant, partners, directors or officers primary residence is Out-of-Canada, a criminal record check is required from the jurisdiction of the individual’s primary residence which follows the requirements set out by Citizenship and Immigration Canada or a check provided by a local policing organization (i.e., state or municipal police service) provided the results include national records. For US applicants, a criminal history record information check performed by a vendor from this list is also acceptable.
Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Queen’s Printer Bookstore.
Renewing a licence
You may use Service Alberta’s PABLO (Province of Alberta Business Licensing Online) to renew your licence.
This system is used for processing payments, printing issued licenses and renewing licenses.
- Applications submitted by email, fax or without payment will have a user ID created in the name of the applicant and provided to their email address. They will need to submit payment or their application will not be processed.
- Once issued, licenses are made available electronically for printing by the business. If an ID does not already exist one will be created and provided to the applicant’s email address along with notification the licence has been issued. If an ID was created for payment of the fees the applicant will receive an email notification the licence has been issued.
- Within 60 days prior to the expiry of a licence a renewal may be processed using this system. Mark your calendar as a reminder so you stay continuously licensed.