Services and information
- Alberta Emission Offset System
The Emission Offset System enables compliance flexibility for facilities regulated under the Carbon Competitiveness Incentive Regulation.
- Carbon Competitiveness Incentive Regulation
Information for industry on Alberta's approach to reduce emissions from large industrial emitters.
The Carbon Competitiveness Incentive (CCI) program is a made-in-Alberta plan designed in consultation with industry to:
- reduce greenhouse gas emissions from large industrial emitters
- ensure our industries thrive in a carbon competitive global market
- encourage investment in clean technology
- create jobs and diversify our economy
CCI replaced the Specified Gas Emitters Regulation (SGER) on Jan 1, 2018, and will be phased in over 3 years. It's expected to cut emissions by 20 million tonnes by 2020, and 50 million tonnes by 2030.
The CCI regulation applies to facilities that have emitted 100,000 tonnes or more of greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) in a year since 2003, such as:
- electricity production
- heat production and use
- oil extraction, upgrading and refining
- natural gas processing and transmission
- chemical manufacturing
A facility with less than 100,000 tonnes of GHGs may be eligible to opt-in to the CCI if it competes against a facility regulated under the CCI or has more than 50,000 tonnes of annual emissions, high emissions-intensity and trade-exposure.
Carbon dioxide emissions associated with biomass are excluded.