Public Lands Camping Pass required
A Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the Eastern Slopes of the Rocky Mountains. For more information, visit:
Camping is a popular activity in Alberta and because of its increasing popularity, along with a growing population, Alberta public lands are experiencing recreational pressures that produce undesirable impacts on land, vegetation, water and wildlife, as well as increase conflicts between public land users.
Camping for the first time on public land? For more information on the rules and what you need to know before you head out to recreate on public land, download a copy of the new Alberta’s Guide to Outdoor Recreation on Public Land and Camping on Public Land Fact Sheet.
You can help reduce impacts and conflicts. Public Land is a shared resourced and a shared responsibility.
- Contact the leaseholder prior to travelling on private or leased land – call 310-3773 for assistance.
- Check weather and avoid travel on wet trails.
- Check for area and trail closures at Public land closures – Overview.
- Limit your stay to no more than 14 days in the same location.
- Leave nothing behind – take all garbage with you.
- Prevent the start of a wildfire. Never leave campfire unattended and remember to soak, stir and soak it again.
- Leave gates and fences as you found them.
- Use portable fire receptacles for your campfire.
- Camp or park on surfaces that are resistant to impact.
- Share with other users.
- Keep distance from wildlife.
For a summary of guidelines to consider while enjoying outdoor recreation on public land, see Recreation on Public Land – Know before you go (PDF, 3.8 MB).
For more information on minimizing your impact while enjoying the outdoors visit Leave No Trace Canada.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.