COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
The Calgary Ring Road is part of a larger east-west trade corridor that will enhance markets in and out of Alberta, supporting economic diversification and sustained economic growth.
The final 4 construction projects are now underway:
- Southwest Calgary Ring Road (anticipated to open in 2021)
- West Calgary Ring Road (anticipated to open in 2024)
- The South Bow River Bridge project (anticipated to be completed in October 2023)
- Northeast Stoney Trail Widening (anticipated to open in Fall 2021)
Noise is monitored at different parts of the ring road to assess possible impacts on nearby communities.
Computer noise models use existing and future projected traffic conditions to see what noise impacts could occur under various conditions.
Read noise studies for:
- Northeast Stoney Trail
- Northwest Stoney Trail
- Southeast Stoney Trail
Public-private partnerships (P3s) have been used to build and maintain highways and other infrastructure projects throughout the province. These partnerships engage contractors at every part of the highway construction process:
Access P3 agreements for the Calgary Ring Road:
- Northeast Stoney Trail:
- Southeast Stoney Trail
- Southwest Calgary Ring Road
Tsuut’ina Nation - Alberta Agreement
A 2013 final agreement between Alberta and the Tsuut’ina Nation sees the transfer of reserve lands to accommodate a portion of the Southwest Calgary Ring Road and utility corridor:
Under the agreement, the Tsuut’ina Nation transfers 428.1 hectares (1,058 acres) of its land to the Government of Alberta for:
- the transfer of 2,030.8 hectares (5,018.1 acres) of Crown land to the Tsuut’ina Nation
- $340.7 million ($275 million for the land plus $65.7 million to cover impacts on the reserve)
- approval for the Nation to purchase an additional 129.5 hectares (320 acres) of Crown land from the Government of Alberta for $1.6 million
- the existing high-pressure gas line and overhead electrical lines will be relocated from Weaselhead Park to the transportation and utility corridor
Read the Land Transfer Agreement.
- Work to start on West Calgary Ring Road (July 5, 2018)
For more information on the Calgary Ring Road:
Major Capital Projects
Twin Atria Building
2nd Floor, 4999 98 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.