Additional information will be posted on this page as it is available, including application forms.
Building Communities of Care replaces the Affordable Supportive Living Initiative with new ways for adding continuing care spaces where they are most needed.
The number of Albertans waiting for facility-based continuing care is increasing. Indigenous communities have also identified the need for culturally appropriate continuing care services closer to home.
This new approach includes 5 initiatives which will be implemented and completed in sequence:
- Adding new continuing care spaces that do not require capital funding. Continuing care operators made submissions to Alberta Health Services in May 2018, which are now being reviewed
- Developing spaces in seniors lodges and other government-owned or supported facilities
- Offering grant funding to Indigenous communities to support business case development and to build culturally appropriate continuing care spaces
- Offering grant funding to not-for-profit operators to build new continuing care spaces in priority communities, including spaces for populations with complex needs
- Building new public continuing care facilities after the previous initiatives have been implemented, to meet unmet targets in communities demonstrating the greatest need
- Projects that do not require capital investment by government will be considered first.
- Adding new continuing care spaces to existing facilities will be considered, including adding continuing care capacity to facilities or seniors lodges that are currently being developed or planned.
- High need communities, Indigenous communities and populations with complex needs.
- Funding for Indigenous communities to develop business cases to use in their application for the capital grant funding.
When the Building Communities of Care grant initiative stage opens, it will be available to:
- not-for-profit operators
- housing management bodies
- Indigenous communities/organizations
For more information about the Building Communities of Care Program, contact: email@example.com