Codes in force
The following codes in the building discipline are currently in force:
- National Building Code – 2019 Alberta Edition
- National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings 2017
- Helpful guide: How to Find Free Code Books on the National Research Council Canada Website (PDF, 3.9 MB)
Historical code timeline
Alberta Building Code (ABC)
- ABC 2014: In force from May 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019
- ABC 2006: In force from September 2, 2007 to April 30, 2015
- ABC 1997: In force from June 1, 1998 to September 1, 2007
- ABC 1990: In force from September 1, 1991 to May 31, 1998
National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB)
- NECB 2011: In force from November 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019
- no prior editions of the code were adopted in Alberta
The accessibility standards set out the requirements for the safe design of accessible and barrier-free environments regulated under the Safety Codes Act. Municipal Affairs works in partnership with the Safety Codes Council to coordinate and encourage barrier-free design and access for any thing, process or activity regulated under the act.
Barrier-Free Design Guide
In partnership with the Barrier-Free Sub-Council of the Safety Codes Council, Municipal Affairs has developed the Barrier-Free Design Guide to provide further interpretation and understanding of accessibility requirements under Section 3.8 of the Alberta Building Code 2014.
A copy of the guide is available for a free download in pdf from the Safety Codes Council.
- Application for Barrier-Free Relaxation
- Building Permit Application (PDF, 127 KB)
(for renovated relocatable industrial accommodation)
The ABC 2014 and the National Building Code - 2019 Alberta Edition (NBC-2019 AE) reference the following professional schedules.
Professional schedules ABC 2014
- Schedule A1-ABC (PDF, 31 KB)
- Schedule A2-ABC (PDF, 41 KB)
- Schedule B1-ABC (PDF, 35 KB)
- Schedule B2-ABC (PDF, 44 KB)
- Schedule C1-ABC (PDF, 29 KB)
- Schedule C2-ABC (PDF, 30 KB)