To apply for a residential builder licence you need access to the New Home Buyer Protection System (NHBPS) builder's portal. If you do not have an account, submit an access request. Follow these steps to apply for a licence:
STEP 1: Log in to your Builder's Portal through MAConnect
STEP 2: Edit your Builder Profile. To access it, click on "Launch", and then click on "Builder Profile"
- Under Contacts, add all current directors, majority shareholders, and officers. A majority shareholder has 25% or more shares. This information must align with your information in the Alberta Corporate Registry.
- Under Associated Companies, list majority shareholder companies (25% or more shares) and associated companies. This information must be current and align with your information in the Alberta Corporate Registry.
- Under Attachments, upload current and valid driver's licence copies for all directors, majority shareholders, and officers.
STEP 3: Fill out the licence application. To access it, click on "Licensing", and then click on "Apply for Licence" for a new licence or "Apply for Renewal" for a renewal licence.
STEP 4: Payment. A new licence is $600 and a renewal licence is $500.
- Use this manual or watch the video below for detailed instructions on using NHBPS and applying for a builder licence.
How to apply video
- Follow the step-by-step instructions in this video for assistance with your builder licence application.