Budget 2020 date and time
President of Treasury Board and Minister of Finance Travis Toews will table Budget 2020 in the Alberta legislature on February 27, 2020 at approximately 3:15 p.m.
Media representatives who plan to participate in the Budget 2020 embargo are asked to register by completing the form available below, by Friday, February 21 at 4:30 p.m. Media will be provided access to embargoed budget materials and events at the Federal Building in Edmonton, or McDougall Centre in Calgary, on February 27.
Media embargo and registration
On February 27, media may begin the check-in process at 7:30 a.m., with embargoed materials being distributed at 8 a.m. The embargo will be in effect until the Finance Minister begins the budget address at approximately 3:15 p.m. Access to embargoed budget materials and entry to embargoed events (e.g. news conference) at the Federal Building and McDougall Centre will be restricted to media who have registered through the form available below.
- There will be no internet access and cellular devices allowed at the embargo for Budget 2020.
- No internet access will be provided once embargo lifts. If you require internet access, we recommend you bring your own.
- All media wanting to participate in the budget embargo will be required to abide by the rules and conditions of the embargo for Budget 2020.
- Before registering, read the Budget 2020 embargo rules for media.
- Media who attend in Calgary will have limited access to technical staff for questions. It is highly recommended that media attend the in-person embargo in Edmonton.
- Video recordings will only be allowed during the embargoed news conference, in person, at the Federal Building. No recordings or photos of any other areas will be allowed.
- Sign in for embargo will be open all day to accommodate later arrivals by photographers and videographers.
Budget day pass pick-up
Media representatives are required to check in and sign an embargo acceptance form in person at the media table on the main floor of the Federal Building in Edmonton or the Pekisko Room at McDougall Centre in Calgary. Check in begins at 7:30 a.m. on February 27.
Once the embargo form is signed, media representatives will receive an embargoed media package and will not be allowed outside the designated embargoed area or the building until the embargo is lifted.
Embargoed media representatives will be allowed access to the technical briefing and embargoed news conference—in person at the Federal Building in Edmonton, or through a direct phone connection at McDougall Centre. Standard teleconference options will not be provided.
Media who have not completed the online registration form before 4:30 p.m. on February 21 may experience delays in receiving budget materials.
Budget 2020 registration form
Registration closes at 4:30 p.m. (Mountain Daylight Time) on February 21, 2020.
Read the embargo rules and then: