Budget 2020 materials will be made available to media representatives on Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 8 a.m. Check in begins at 7:30 a.m. Media representatives must adhere to the embargo rules until the President of Treasury Board and Minister of Finance begins to deliver the budget address in the Legislative Assembly.
Media representatives participating in Budget 2020 must sign an embargo acceptance form and abide by all terms of the embargo. By signing the embargo acceptance form and taking the embargoed material into possession, all media representatives are committing to the terms of the embargo not only on their own behalf but also on behalf of the organization they represent.
Please ensure you bring a laptop with a USB reader as budget packages will only be provided on a USB.
Embargo rules include the following:
- Media representatives who have signed the embargo agreement will receive budget media packages and access to the technical briefing and embargoed news conference. This includes reporters, photographers, videographers and any technical support personnel.
- No coverage of any aspect of Budget 2020 (e.g. budget-related documents) can appear in the media, including the Internet and social media (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, etc.), at any time during the period of the embargo.
- Media representatives participating in the embargo are not to use social media (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc.) for any reason until the embargo is lifted.
- Media representatives are not allowed to discuss the contents of Budget 2020 or related budget documents with anyone other than authorized government officials prior to the lifting of the embargo. This includes any Minister or MLA, any member of any MLA’s staff, any employee of any government department, any member of the public, or any other person not explicitly authorized to discuss the budget before the embargo is lifted.
- The only government officials authorized to discuss the budget documents and business plans are technical staff assigned to participate in the embargoed technical briefing.
- Media representatives participating in the embargo may not share or discuss Budget 2020 or related budget documents with anyone who has not signed an embargo acceptance form, including publishers, editors, producers or co-workers within their own organization.
- The technical briefing is for media representatives only and is intended to provide additional insight and to answer questions about Budget 2020 and related budget documents. Information provided during this briefing is not for attribution, but is for background information only.
- Communications directors are available throughout budget day to provide background and clarification on the budget as it relates to each ministry. This information is not for attribution, and cannot be published or shared until the embargo is lifted.
- Media representatives are required to adhere to embargo rules until the President of Treasury Board and Minister of Finance begins the budget address in the Legislative Assembly. To prevent confusion, a government official will advise media directly that the embargo is lifted.
- Media representatives are restricted to the Wales Room at the Federal Building in Edmonton (or the Pekisko Room in McDougall Centre in Calgary), and are not allowed to exit the building.
- Budget documents and media packages can be viewed or referenced only in the Wales Room at the Edmonton Federal Building or the Pekisko Room in McDougall Centre. Media representatives found outside the designated embargo areas with budget documents or materials will be subject to sanction.
- Any information received about Budget 2020 must stay within the Edmonton Federal Building (or McDougall Centre). This means it cannot be emailed, phoned, faxed, texted, or communicated by any other form of transmission, electronic or otherwise, to anyone or any establishment outside the aforementioned two buildings.
- Any media representative and/or media outlet found to be in breach of this embargo will be subject to sanction which may include, but is not limited to, a ban from future Alberta government embargoes, including Budget 2021 for their entire media outlet.
- By signing this embargo you are agreeing to either not bring a cellular device or surrender the device to staff onsite until the embargo is lifted.
- There will also be no internet access provided during or after the embargo period. Internet is not to be used during the embargo period. If you need internet access directly following the embargo, please provide your own.
Budget 2020 registration form
Registration closes at 4:30 p.m. (Mountain Daylight Time) on February 21, 2020.