2016-19 Fiscal Plan (3.0 MB)
Budget 2016 contains considered measures to control government costs while maintaining the health and education services Albertans count on. The budget implements a series of cost savings that help limit the rate of growth in government operating spending, without sacrificing certainty and stability for families.
Cost saving measures of $300 million in each of the next two years include:
- Freezing salaries for political staff, management and opted-out staff in government departments, agencies, boards and commissions, saving $120 million this year.
- Consolidating or dissolving 26 agencies, boards and commissions (ABC) (0.4 MB), saving $33 million over 3 years. The next stage of the ABC review, including board and executive compensation, will begin shortly.
- Deferring some planned spending included in Budget 2015, saving $118 million in 2016-17 and $208 million in 2017-18.
- Identifying program reductions and other adjustments to realize savings, including:
- $50 million by suspending Access to the Future Fund payments
- $45 million from realigning priorities at Alberta Innovates Corporation
- $20 million from Alberta Community Partnership grants
Budget 2016 has also committed government to find an additional savings of at least $250 million per year.