Status: Under review
Ministry responsible: Treasury Board and Finance
To get our economy back on track and our budget balanced by 2022-23, we’ve appointed an independent panel of experts to review Alberta’s finances and economy.
The Blue Ribbon Panel on Alberta's Finances will find ways to eliminate waste, duplication and non-essential spending to fund government’s key priorities, while ensuring high-quality, front-line services for Albertans.
The panel brings an outside perspective and decades of experience as they review a range of economic factors and financial processes, including:
- government's fiscal outlook
- department and agency expenditure trends and cost drivers
- a plan to balance the budget by 2022-23, without raising taxes
- a new fiscal framework that requires future balanced budgets and a plan to retire the accumulated debt
- government's operating and capital budgeting, fiscal planning and public reporting processes and systems
- business investment climate in Canada and its impact on Alberta’s economy
The minister of Treasury Board and Finance received the report with the panel’s recommendations on Aug. 15, 2019 and will review their findings before releasing the report to Albertans in early September.
Immediate actions will be included in Budget 2019.
Minister Toews' letter to Janice MacKinnon (PDF, 795 KB)
Janice MacKinnon, Chair
Dr. MacKinnon is a former Saskatchewan Finance Minister, Executive Fellow at the University of Calgary School of Public Policy and Professor of Fiscal Policy at the University of Saskatchewan.
Mike Percy, Vice-Chair
Mr. Percy was previously an Alberta MLA and former Stanley A. Milner professor and dean of the Alberta School of Business at the University of Alberta. Mr. Percy was also the chief of staff to Premier Jim Prentice.
Ms. Henderson is a principal at Sproat Advising. Her previous roles include deputy minister to the Premier, cabinet secretary and head of the British Columbia Public Service and deputy minister of Finance with the province of British Columbia.
Mr. Dahlby is a distinguished fellow and research director, School of Public Policy at the University of Calgary.
Mr. Mowat is the former president and chief executive officer, ATB Financial.
Mr. Ramotar has held many deputy minister positions with the Alberta Public Service including Service Alberta, Solicitor General and Public Security, Health and Wellness, Infrastructure and Transportation and Treasury Board.
- Report on Alberta's finances: Minister Toews (Aug. 15, 2019)
- Blue Ribbon Panel to assess Alberta’s finances (May 7, 2019)
- Watch: Premier Kenney introduces Alberta's Blue Ribbon Panel