Appeal an Income Support decision

You can file an appeal if you disagree with a decision about your Income Support benefits.

Before you appeal

Before you file an appeal, talk to the worker who made the decision to discuss resolving the issue. If you still disagree with the decision, you can file an appeal. To file an appeal, complete the following steps.

How to appeal

Step 1. Fill out the form

Step 2. Submit the form

Submit the completed Notice of Appeal form to the Appeals Secretariat or to your worker within 30 days of receiving the department’s decision.

Step 3. After you file the appeal

A senior staff person will review the original decision to determine if the matter can be resolved.

  • If the senior staff person disagrees with the original decision, they will provide you with what you requested or will try to find a solution to meet your needs.
  • If the senior staff person upholds the original decision and you aren’t satisfied, a formal review will be scheduled.

Appeal hearing date

Your Notice of Appeal Form will be sent to the Appeal Panel for a formal review and an appeal hearing date will be scheduled.

  • Appeal hearings (formal reviews) are normally scheduled on the first available date.
  • You will be advised in writing or by phone of the date, time and location of your hearing.

Step 4. Attend the hearing

The Appeal Panel will listen to your concerns and to the concerns presented by the department representative.

  • The Appeal Panel provides a neutral review of department decisions.
  • Panel members are appointed by the Minister of Community and Social Services, but they are not employees of the department.

Step 5. After the hearing

  • The Appeal Panel will make a decision and notify you in writing, explaining reasons for their decision.
  • The decision will normally be sent to you within 14 days of your appeal hearing.
  • In instances where legal counsel is involved, it may take longer than 14  days to issue a decision.


Contact your Income Support worker for all related Income Support questions.

If you don’t know how to reach your worker, contact your local Alberta Supports or Alberta Works centre.

Alberta Supports Contact Centre

You can contact the main Alberta Supports Contact Centre:

7:30 am – 8 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
780-644-9992 (Edmonton)
1-877-644-9992 (toll-free)

24-hour Emergency Income Support Contact Centre

Get help in an emergency with basic needs like shelter, food, clothing and transportation.

Available 24/7
780-644-5135 (Edmonton)
1-866-644-5135 (toll-free)
780-422-9681 (Fax)