COVID-19: A state of public health emergency is being declared. New mandatory measures to stop the spike in cases are in effect. Learn more.
Changes to impaired driving laws
Alberta’s impaired driving laws are changing effective December 1, 2020. A new Roadside Sanction program will keep our roads safer by providing serious and immediate consequences for all impaired drivers. Read Freeing up police and courts to make Alberta safer for more information.
The Traffic Safety Act provides the Registrar with wide ranging powers, including the issuance of permits and the licensing and monitoring of drivers, commercial carriers and vehicles.
With respect to commercial carriers, the Registrar has the power to:
- issue or refuse to issue an Safety Fitness Certificate
- issue or refuse to issue an Operating Authority Certificate
- issue or refuse to issue a permit
- change a carrier's Safety Fitness Rating
- cancel or suspend a carrier's Safety Fitness or Operating Authority Certificate or permit
- add a term or condition to a carrier's certificate or permit
- cancel or suspend a carrier's vehicle registration certificates
- issue a carrier an Administrative Penalty
How to appeal a Registrar’s decision
The Traffic Safety Act provides a carrier the ability to appeal a Registrar's decision to the Alberta Transportation Safety Board. To appeal a Registrar's decision, the carrier must purchase an appeal package from an Alberta Registries Agent.
There are 2 types of Application for Hearing:
- non-oral which requires a written submission and a $125 fee
- oral which requires a personal appearance before the board and a $250 fee
In addition to the application fee, a Registry Agent fee will also be charged.
Appeals must be relevant to the actions of the carrier and/or the Registrar leading up to the Registrar's decision. Actions taken by the carrier after the Registrar's decision may be pertinent to the carrier making a new application to the Registrar, but not to an appeal.
For more information about appealing a Registrar's decision visit: Alberta Transportation Safety Board – Appealing a Decision of the Registrar.
Prior to submitting an appeal it is recommended you contact the Carrier & Vehicle Safety Section of Alberta Transportation to ensure you fully understand the decision of the Registrar and its impact. Contact information can be found below.
Connect with Carrier & Vehicle Safety and sign up for updates.