Table of contents


Assignment of Board Order with Crown and/or Land Titles

Section 35.1 has been added and Orders of the Board can be assigned without an amending order of the Board by following 3 simple steps:

  1. Notify all parties of the assignment. If it is Crown land, you must notify the department or other body administering the land.
  2. File a copy of the assignment and a copy of the AER/AUC approval with the Board.
  3. If the Order has been registered on the certificate of title to the land, an operator must also register the assignment with the Registrar of Land Titles before the assignment can take effect.

PDF form issues

Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save forms:

  1. Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
  2. Launch Adobe Reader.
  3. Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.

Use the Notice of Board Order Assignment Form (PDF, 2.2 MB) – Pursuant to Section 35. 1 of the Surface Rights Act.

If you are submitting multiple Board Order Assignments, you may use one form if the Applicant and New Operator are the same on all assignments. Please attach a schedule to the form.

Operator amendment

If you are unable to register your assignment of Board Order with the Crown and/or with the Registrar of Land Titles, you may apply to the Board for an amending order.

Download: Request to Amend Operator Information form (PDF, 1.4 MB).

Form help

Detailed instructions for completing the Request to Amend Operator Information form.

  • Section 1 – General information
    • State the applicant’s name and the contact name of the person who is requesting the amendment.
    • State the applicant’s address and the phone number and email address of the person who is requesting the amendment.
  • Section 2 – Reason for application
    • Provide an explanation for why you were unable to register your assignment of Board Order pursuant to section 35.1 of the Surface Rights Act.
  • Section 3 – Board Order to be amended
    • Provide your file number, Board’s File No. (for example, RE1234, ER1234, etc.), the Board Order number and the legal land description.
  • Section 4 – Operator information
    • State the operator name that should be shown on the Board Order after the amendment is complete, along with their current mailing address and contact information.
      Note: This information only needs to be provided if it is different than the applicant requesting the operator amendment.
  • Section 5 – Required documentation
    • If the licence/permit/approval number was indicated in the previous Board Order, check yes, and provide a copy of the licence/permit/approval updated to indicate the new operator that is applying for the amendment.
      Note: The licence/permit/approval number must be identical to the number identified on the previous Board Order.
      Note: If multiple numbers are listed highlight the applicable number.
    • If the licence/permit/approval number was not identified in the previous Board Order, provide the completed Statutory Declaration Operator Amendment Form (PDF, 1.5 MB), sworn and commissioned, along with a copy of the licence/permit/approval.
    • The licence/permit/approval must be from the issuing authority and not a third party provider.
    • Verify that the current landowners and/or recipients entitled to compensation have been notified of this Application and have not objected to the request.
    • If submitting electronically, please submit your application as one PDF package per application.

Board Administration requires 100% accuracy in order to take any action on the request. If there is any deficiency in the information or documentation submitted the request will be rejected and returned along with all submitted material.

Respondent amendment

Any respondent listed on a Board Order or new owner of land may apply for an amendment to the Board Order. A letter outlining the following is required:

  • Board File number
  • Board Order number
  • land description
  • explanation of the request

A copy of the certificate of title is not required to be submitted. Any other documentation you believe would support your request may be submitted together with your letter.

Request to vary a respondent amendment

Varying rate agreements are when the parties agree on a new rate of compensation for a Right of Entry Order and would like the Board to update the existing order to reflect the new rate.

For an explanation of how to do this, see Surface right of entry compensation.


Connect with the Surface Rights Board:

Phone: 780-427-2444
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-427-5798
Email: [email protected]

1229 91 Street SW
Edmonton, Alberta  T6X 1E9