Alberta Research and Innovation Framework (ARIF)
Strengthens the province's research and innovation system by providing clear direction to stakeholders.
The Alberta Research and Innovation Framework (ARIF) provides clear direction to stakeholders to collectively build a stronger research and innovation system that delivers measurable results.
The ARIF was collaboratively developed by the Alberta government and Alberta Innovates, with input from post-secondary institutions and industry leaders.
It establishes shared outcomes and aspirational innovation targets for provincially supported research and innovation organizations.
The Alberta government, Alberta Innovates, post-secondary institutions and industry all need to collaborate to contribute to innovation targets and make progress on the following outcomes:
- Economic diversification and job creation
- catalyze growth and diversification of the economy
- Environmental stewardship and climate leadership
- facilitate aniticipation and mitigation of environmental impacts
- Effective resource management
- enable cost-effective discovery, development and production of natural resources
- Engaged individuals and communities for a healthy Alberta
- enhance the health and well-being of Albertans
2030 Innovation Targets
The innovation targets for 2030 are intended to inspire transformational solutions in the the following priority areas:
- emerging technologies
- energy and GHG mitigation
- environment and climate adaptation
- food and agriculture
- fibre and bioindustrial
Each innovation target includes select focus areas to show where Alberta is pursuing opportunities to generate results.
Milestones will be identified in order to monitor short and mid-term progress, and to make course corrections when necessary.
Alberta Research and Innovation Framework (ARIF) (PDF, 2 MB)