Volunteers are at the heart of every community, affecting every facet of our lives. Each year more than 1.6 million Albertans provide more than 262 million volunteer hours in support of our community organizations – at a value of $5.6 billion.
Recognizing the efforts of Albertans who are giving the gift of time to help their friends, neighbours and communities is essential.
Nominate a volunteer
To recognize an amazing volunteer – an individual or a group – who has contributed during the time of COVID-19, nominate them for the Alberta Northern Lights Volunteer Recognition Program.
How to volunteer
During these unprecedented times, Premier Jason Kenney has called on Albertans – who are able to safely give their time and talents – to support their communities in responding to COVID-19.
Consider exploring volunteer opportunities if you:
- have an existing vulnerable sector check and aren't acting in your normal volunteer role (examples: coaching, school support programs)
- are a member of our faith-based community – a large contributor to our community well-being
- are a member of the public service who can give their time to support the resiliency of our communities during this time
Alberta Cares Connector
Visit the Alberta Cares Connector to find or post available volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer matching supports
- 211 Alberta offers a comprehensive resource and referral network that can assist in finding volunteer opportunities in your community:
- offers 24/7 service
- can translate in 170+ languages
- call or text 2-1-1 for assistance
- if your organization requires volunteers:
- share opportunities through the Alberta Cares Connector
- consider engaging a virtual volunteer to post your volunteer opportunities on the Alberta Cares Connector
The Alberta government encourages you to volunteer – and help support our communities during this time – if you can do this safely.
All Albertans are encouraged to follow the advice of the chief medical officer of health for:
- physical distancing
- limiting the number of people in public spaces
- monitoring your symptoms
- wearing masks in public spaces
Review the Alberta government’s guidelines for safe volunteering: Non-Health Care Volunteers fact sheet (PDF, 43 KB).