Alberta Historical Resources Foundation
Know more about the work and activities of the Foundation.
About the Foundation
The Alberta Historical Resources Foundation is a public trust agency established in 1973 as a provincial agency and corporation of the Government of Alberta. The Foundation is the principal heritage support agency of the Government of Alberta.
The purposes of the Foundation are stipulated in the Historical Resources Act. The Foundation is responsible for:
- providing grants and technical assistance to heritage projects
- making decisions on geographic names
- hearing representations by any interested persons respecting the designation of historic resources
- any other activity deemed appropriate by the board to enhance the preservation appreciation of Alberta’s heritage
The mission of the Foundation is to encourage initiatives that preserve and interpret Alberta’s heritage.
The Foundation consists of the Board of Directors (PDF, 351 KB) who are accountable to the Minister of Culture and Tourism. The Historic Resources Management Branch of Alberta Culture and Tourism provides professional, technical and administrative support.
Programs and activities
The Foundation supports heritage through a number of programs and by providing funding to heritage organizations.
Heritage Preservation Partnership Program
This Heritage Preservation Partnership Program administers the following grants and scholarships:
- Bob Etherington Heritage Conservation Fund
- Heritage awareness grants
- Historic resource conservation grants
- Research grants
- Roger Soderstrom Scholarship
- Transportation/Industrial artifact conservation grants
- Publication grants
Annual funding to five provincial heritage organizations and the Glenbow Museum:
- Alberta Museums Association – operational funding
- Archives Society of Alberta – operational funding
- Historical Society of Alberta – operational funding
- Alberta Genealogical Society – operational funding
- Archaeological Society of Alberta – operational funding
- Glenbow Museum – to manage government-owned collections
- Alberta Heritage Markers – supports the production of heritage markers
- bi-annual Heritage Awards – recognizes the contributions of individuals and organizations to the preservation of Alberta’s heritage
- Alberta Geographical Names Program, which makes decisions, in agreement with the Minister, on naming geographical features in Alberta
- the hearing of representations by interested parties respecting the designation of historic resources
To contact the Program Coordinator:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-431-2305 (in Alberta)
Toll free: dial 310-0000 before the number
Old St. Stephen’s College Building
8820 112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2P8