Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Ministry responsible: Health
Independent contractor Ernst and Young (EY) completed the first comprehensive review of Alberta Health Services (AHS) since it was formed 10 years ago to identify ways AHS can reduce costs and improve performance by:
- examining AHS management structure, organization and administration
- evaluating AHS programs, services and policies
- comparing AHS to other province's health systems and best practices
- gathering input from employees, physicians and the public
AHS is the province’s health authority, responsible for delivering the majority of Alberta’s health services, including acute care, continuing care, public health, and community services.
The public, AHS staff, physicians and other health experts were consulted as part of the review process.
The submission period of the review closed October 7, 2019. Engagement activities included:
- 32,500 AHS staff and physician survey responses
- 1,000 emails from Albertans
- More than 75 health system stakeholder engagement sessions
- 5 zone based operational leader sessions
The Alberta Health Services performance review: summary report was released on February 3, 2020. It contained 57 recommendations and 72 savings opportunities to improve the quality and long-term sustainability of health services.
The government has accepted the report, with two important exceptions: there will be no hospital closures or urban trauma centre consolidations.
AHS has submitted its long-term implementation to the Minister of Health. The long-term plan was released on October 13, 2020 as well as the initiatives that government has directed AHS to implement. Learn more about government's plan to improve healthcare.
- AHS review implementation plan released (October 13, 2020)
- AHS review will direct more funding to patients (February 3, 2020)
- AHS Review: Statement from Minister Shandro (August, 8, 2019)
- Contractor selected to conduct AHS review (July 18, 2019)
- AHS review to find savings, improve performance (May 30, 2019)