Alberta Agriculture and Forestry (AF) conducted an outgoing trade mission to Germany anchored around the ANUGA trade show this past October 2019. The show takes place on a bi-annual basis, and this year the show supported 7,590 exhibitors and about 170,000 visitors.
“ANUGA is the marquee food and beverage event of its scale and is one of the most important industry meeting points,” said Shelly Nguyen, trade and relations officer with the International Market Development section of AF.
Sixteen Alberta companies participated with 6 companies exhibiting and another 10 companies walked the show.
The mission profiled Alberta as a preferred supplier of value-added agri-food and alcoholic beverage products while enhancing export opportunities and potential sales into the German and European Union (EU) market.
During the mission, Alberta companies:
- Enhanced interest from European and international buyers for Alberta’s export products to increase sales.
- Learned about the German market distribution systems for retail and foodservice channels.
- Participated in product validation sessions with a German in market expert to receive feedback on products, opportunities and market entry strategies.
- Learned about the EU’s regulatory and labelling requirements.
- Participated in store tours to 5 major German retailers to gather market and competitive intelligence.
- Learned more about The Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) specifically relating to their products.
- Connected with up to 16 trade commissioners to discuss export services, potential market development opportunities and challenges in respective regions.
- Collected marketing intelligence on trends, packaging and innovative products.
“Overall, Alberta companies were very satisfied with the trade mission and are following up with contacts that will lead to sales,” she added.
Connect with Shelly Nguyen about this mission: