COVID-19 response

Temporary extension to AHCIP coverage

To assist those waiting longer for permit extensions at this time, the Government of Alberta is temporarily extending AHCIP coverage to temporary residents and their families with expired legal entitlement documents. Coverage will be provided until January 31, 2021.

Expired temporary work or study permits or visitor records

If your temporary work or study permit or visitor record has expired, you may be provided with temporary AHCIP coverage if:

  • you are currently living in Alberta, and
  • you were recently enrolled in AHCIP coverage, and
  • you applied to extend the work or study permit or immigration document before the expiration date of that permit or document.

This also applies to those who already received coverage extension to October 31, 2020.

Contact the AHCIP office to request a temporary extension.


Learn about health care coverage for students – foreign and out of province.

Residents from another country

If you are from outside Canada, you must intend to live in Alberta for 12 consecutive months and have the appropriate Canada entry documents to be eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage.

Acceptable Canada entry documents include:

  • active work (minimum 6 months)
  • study or visitor permit for Alberta
  • designation as a Convention Refugee with accompanying documentation

Not all Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) permits qualify the permit holder for health care insurance coverage in Alberta.

Until you are eligible for AHCIP coverage, you will have to pay for all health care services you get. Learn about eligibility for AHCIP coverage.

You will not be denied emergency medical care in Alberta even if you do not have medical insurance.

Travel or visitor-to-Canada insurance

Before you come to Canada, you should purchase travel or visitor-to-Canada insurance from a private insurance company. If you are denied AHCIP coverage, we recommend you get private insurance.

If you pay for health services, you will have to apply for reimbursement from your insurance company.

Learn how to apply for AHCIP coverage.

Canadian children of parents not eligible for AHCIP coverage

If a child is a Canadian citizen and the parent is physically present in Alberta and intends to remain in Alberta, the child might be eligible for AHCIP coverage, regardless of their parent’s eligibility.

Requirements for eligible children

Children of parents not eligible for AHCIP may be eligible if:

  • the child has a Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship card/certificate
  • the parent claims intent to live in Alberta for a minimum of 12 months
  • the parent provides proof of Alberta residency
  • the child is not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory, or country
  • the child is not a tourist, transient, or visitor to Alberta

If you and your child meet these requirements, you can apply for AHCIP coverage on your child’s behalf.

To apply, complete the Application for AHCIP Coverage: Canadian Children of Non-Eligible Parents (PDF, 169 KB) and take it to an authorized registry agent with your identification.

Temporary workers

Temporary workers from outside Alberta – Canadians or permanent residents

If you come to Alberta to work, but maintain your home in another province or territory and return home regularly, you should maintain your health insurance coverage in your home province or territory.

Temporary workers from outside Canada – Work permit

If you come to Alberta on a work permit you must intend to stay in Alberta for 12 months.

To qualify for AHCIP, the minimum acceptable work permit length is 6 months.

Learn how to apply for health coverage and the documents you need.

Expiry date on your personal health card

If you are a temporary resident from outside Canada with AHCIP coverage, there is an expiry date printed on your Alberta personal health card. It should be the same date as the "valid until" date noted on your Canada entry document.

Extended work permits – Minimum 6-month permits

AHCIP coverage is valid from the date you establish residency in Alberta or the date your Canada entry document is signed, whichever is later, until the expiry date on the work permit that was included with your AHCIP application.

If your work permit has been renewed or extended, send AHCIP a copy of the new or extended work permit to extend or reinstate your AHCIP coverage. Send a copy to the AHCIP office by mail, or bring your original documents to an authorized registry agent office.

If a copy of your renewed or extended work permit is not received, your AHCIP coverage will be cancelled on the expiry date noted on the previous work permit.

Expired Canada entry document

When your Canada entry document expires, your AHCIP coverage will end.

If your Canada entry document changes from a work or study permit to a visitor record, you may not be eligible for AHCIP coverage.

If you were given AHCIP coverage based on a stamp in your passport, a second stamp will not be accepted.

The AHCIP office requires a document from IRCC such as a visitor record, work or study permit or confirmation of Permanent Resident Status.

If you intend to remain in Alberta and wish to maintain your AHCIP coverage, contact IRCC to find out how long it takes to process your application.

Expired Canada entry document – Extensions

Make sure you apply early for an extension of your Canada entry document even if you have applied for permanent residency.

If your AHCIP coverage is about to expire and you are waiting for an extension of your Canada entry document, you may be eligible for a one-time only temporary extension.

Contact us before the expiration date of your Canada entry document.

AHCIP coverage does not continue with IRCC “implied” status

A designation of “implied” status by IRCC does not make you eligible to maintain your AHCIP coverage.

You need a new Canada entry document for your AHCIP coverage to continue. In the meantime, your AHCIP coverage will be cancelled.

However, if you remain in Alberta while waiting for your IRCC document you may be eligible for a one-time only temporary extension of AHCIP coverage.

Not all Alberta visitor records are accepted for health care insurance coverage in Alberta.

Paying for health care while waiting for a new Canada entry document

While you wait for your new entry documents from IRCC, you will not be covered by AHCIP. This means you will have to pay for any health services you need.

When you get your new document from IRCC, if it has “restored” or “maintained” noted in the remarks area, your AHCIP coverage may be reinstated and backdated to the date your coverage was cancelled.

  • Send a copy of your new document to the AHCIP office.

If you were eligible for AHCIP coverage on the date an insured health service was received, you may be reimbursed for the service.

To get a reimbursement, contact the office where you received the health service, give them your personal health number and ask them to submit a claim as “payment to patient.”

Eligibility while waiting for permanent residency status

To be eligible for AHCIP coverage while waiting for your Permanent Resident (PR) confirmation from IRCC, you must have a valid Canada entry document or a letter from IRCC indicating a “positive first decision” has been made regarding your application for permanent residency. This letter is not confirmation your application was received.

If you receive a “positive first decision” letter from IRCC and your AHCIP was cancelled, send a copy of the document along with your completed AHCIP application and other required documents to the AHCIP office.

Your AHCIP coverage can be reinstated to the date of the “positive first decision” letter but not earlier. Learn how to apply for health coverage and the documents you need.

If your Canada entry document is about to expire and you have not yet received a new Canada entry document or “positive first decision” letter, you may be eligible for a one-time only 90-day temporary extension of your AHCIP coverage.

Apply to extend your stay in Canada as the process of being approved for PR may take several months or years.

Note: not all Canada entry documents are accepted for eligibility under the AHCIP.


Connect with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan office.