- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 40+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
Students from Alberta
Albertan students may be eligible to remain on their parent’s AHCIP account if they are:
- single dependent children under 21 years of age
- single dependent children under 25 years of age, who are in full-time attendance at an accredited educational institute
Studying in another Canadian province or territory
Albertan students who attend an accredited school in Canada, and who intend to return to Alberta after completing their studies, should maintain their AHCIP coverage.
Contact the AHCIP office if you are or will be attending school outside of Alberta.
Studying in another country
Albertan students who attend an accredited school in another country and who intend to return to Alberta after completing their studies, should maintain their AHCIP coverage.
Contact the AHCIP office if you are or will be attending school outside of Canada.
Learn about AHCIP coverage outside Alberta.
Confirmation of enrolment
Each year in the fall, students studying outside Alberta are required to submit proof of their full-time enrolment to the AHCIP office.
This proof must include the student’s full name, program of enrolment and study dates.
Confirmation is due before November 30.
Acceptable proof of enrolment
Acceptable proof of enrolment documents are:
- a letter from the Registrar, with the Registrar’s signature or certification
- a letter of enrolment printed from the school’s online portal, with the school’s logo, letterhead and mailing address
- a printout of online confirmation of course registration, with the school’s logo and official website address
Submit your proof of enrolment to the AHCIP office by mail or in person at an authorized Alberta registry agent before November 30.
If confirmation is received after November 30 and it is determined you remain eligible, your AHCIP coverage will be reinstated.
Restrictions apply. Contact the AHCIP office for more information.
If you are a student from another province or territory studying in Alberta and intend to move back home after your studies, you must maintain health insurance coverage with your home province.
If you stay in Alberta after your studies, you need to apply for coverage in Alberta after your studies are completed.
If you are a student from outside Canada, you may be eligible for AHCIP coverage.
Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian.
Students who have a 12-month study permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage and should apply.
Students with study permits valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.
Learn how to apply for AHCIP coverage.
Connect with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan office.