Status: Enrolment deadline extended to July 2, 2019
Ministry responsible: Agriculture and Forestry
AgriStability is a business risk-management program provided by the federal and provincial governments to help farmers manage significant risks and financial losses caused by:
- large margin declines from market fluctuations
- increased expenses that threaten the viability of farms beyond their capacity to manage
- trade disruptions
In Alberta, AgriStability is delivered by the Agriculture Financial Services Corporation (AFSC).
How to apply
To enrol in the program, you must:
- sign-up for the program each year by the enrolment deadline
- pay an administrative fee
NOTE: The 2019 deadline was extended from April 30 to July 2 to support producers affected by the ongoing Canada/China trade dispute. This extension applies to all sectors, not just canola producers.
Visit the AFSC website for more information on the program and the application process
You are eligible for the AgriStability program if you farm in Canada and primarily earn income from the production of agricultural commodities.
Eligible producers include:
- Communal organizations
- Individual farmers
- Landlords in crop or livestock share joint venture
- Limited partnerships
- Partners in a partnership
- Indigenous people farming on a reserve
How it works
The AgriStability program is funded in accordance with the Canadian Agricultural Partnership Framework agreement. It is funded:
- 60% by the federal government
- 40% by the provincial government
The program is demand driven. Payments depend on participation and individual producers’ situation each year.
- Pork export suspension: Minister Dreeshen statement (May 2, 2019)
For more information on AgriStability, please contact an AFSC branch office or call the AFSC Client Contact Centre: 1-877-899-2372.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.