Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea (PED) is a highly contagious, viral disease of pigs that has not previously been detected in Alberta. PED causes severe diarrhea and death in suckling pigs and milder diarrhea in older pigs. Any sudden onset of unusual diarrhea should be investigated immediately by a veterinarian.
About Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea (PED)
- About PED - Questions and Answers
- PED is a Reportable Disease in Alberta - Letter to Veterinarians and Pork Producers
Other sources of information about PED
- General info on PED and biosecurity at Canadian Swine Health Board
- Canadian Swine Biosecurity Standard
- Alberta Pork's PED web page
- The Canadian Food Inspection Agency's page on the PED situation in Canada
Information on PED from other sites in Canada and the U.S.