Quarterly Population Estimates
Table 1. Quarterly population estimates
|Location||Population Estimates as of April 1, 2020|
Consumer Price Index (CPI)
All-items (Unadjusted 2002=100)
Table 2. Consumer Price Index (CPI)
|Location||% change, April 2020
to May 2020
|% change, May 2019
to May 2020
Unemployment Rate (unadjusted)
Table 3. Unemployment Rate (unadjusted)
|Location||April 2020||May 2020|
Real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by Expenditure
Table 4. Real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by Expenditure
|Location||GDP in 2018 (Millions of chained
2012 Canadian Dollars)
(2017 to 2018)
Items are removed from this list after 6 months and listed on relevant web pages in this section.
* Open data licensed under Alberta’s Open Government Licence
** Not open – see PDF for metadata risk considerations, data source and contact information
- Consumer Price Index, Year-Over-Year Percentage Change, Canada/Alberta (June 22, 2020) *
- Population estimates and components of growth (components of growth updated June 18, 2020)
- Heavy Crude Oil Reference Prices, Monthly (PDF, 216 KB), or CSV format (10 KB) (June 11, 2020) **
- Average Weekly Earnings (including overtime), Alberta (June 9, 2020) *
- Successful Wells Drilled, Alberta (PDF, 281 KB) or CSV format (61 KB) (June 9, 2020) **
- Preliminary Total Housing Starts, Alberta’s Major Urban Centres (May 14, 2020) *
- Light Crude Oil Reference Prices, Monthly (PDF, 307 KB), or CSV format (4 KB) (April 22, 2020) **
- Income Support Caseload, Alberta (April 15, 2020) *
- Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) Caseload, Alberta (April 15, 2020) *
- Population estimates and components of growth (components of growth updated March 19, 2020)
- A Profile of Inter-Jurisdictional Employees in Alberta - 2016 update (March 16, 2020) *
- Real Gross Domestic Product at Market Prices, Annual Percent Change, Canada and Alberta (November 13, 2019) *
- Alberta Quarterly Demographic Statistics - 2019 2nd Quarter (September 30, 2019) *
- 2018 Spatial Price Survey interactive map of Alberta (September 19, 2019)
- See the Quick User Guide to help you get started using this interactive tool.
- 2018 Alberta Spatial Price Survey: A Place-to-Place Comparison Survey (August 15, 2019) *
- Alberta Population Projections for 2019 to 2046 (July 3, 2019) *
- Alberta Quarterly Demographic Statistics - 2019 1st Quarter (June 19, 2019) *
- Population statistics - data files and the animated population estimates pyramid (age and sex) have been updated (February 14, 2019)
About the OSI
The Office of Statistics and Information (OSI) is Alberta's statistical agency and a Statistical Focal Point for Statistics Canada. Our mandate is to plan, promote, consolidate and develop social and economic statistics relating to Alberta. We develop and analyze:
- social, demographic and economic statistics
- geospatial statistics on social and economic issues
We also provide:
- analytical and data support to government ministries
- information to the public
Governing legislation and privacy
The Office of Statistics and Information Act (the Act) and its associated regulation affirms the OSI as the Government of Alberta’s official statistics agency. The OSI is authorized to collect personal information, either on its own or jointly with another party by conducting surveys and censuses.
Collection of personal information
The Act has provisions for protecting personal information and penalties for offences.
Most personal information used by the OSI will be an indirect collection from:
- other Government of Alberta ministries and agencies
- government departments and statistical agencies in other jurisdictions
The Act authorizes the OSI to enter into agreements to collect and disclose information, so the OSI may disclose information to these same parties.
Information and privacy
The OSI’s privacy practices comply with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act.
The OSI’s practices are also affected by other provincial and federal privacy legislation concerning the public sector and private sector.
Provincial statistical focal point
The OSI represents Alberta to the Statistics Canada Federal-Provincial-Territorial Consultative Council on Statistical Policy.
- identifies Government of Alberta (GoA) statistical needs
- communicates as one government with one voice to the Consultative Council
- coordinates GoA representation on the Consultative Council's subcommittees through the GoA Statistics Council
See the Statistics links and resources page for links to other Provincial and Territorial Statistical Focal Points.
About Alberta statistics
Alberta statistics are generally produced by a government body and are:
- publicly available facts
- summarized data about a subject, or
- other information
Some Alberta statistics are deemed ‘Official Statistics’ where:
- there are multiple data sources
- there is a lack of consensus or understanding about which source should be used
- one data source is deemed ‘official’ and this is the data source that should be used in most cases
- potential users are informed about which data source to use for specific purposes
The OSI publishes both Alberta Statistics and Official Statistics. The majority of the Official Statistics are stored in the Open Government Portal. There are no technical or legal restrictions for using open data.
Sign up for updates
For Government of Alberta employees
Government of Alberta employees may access additional data and statistical information products, resources and features.
General OSI enquiries
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Contact the Treasury Board and Finance Spokesperson.