COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
The Office of the Alberta Superintendent of Insurance is responsible for all insurance sector regulatory compliance activities performed by the offices of Financial Sector Regulation and Policy, a division of Alberta Treasury Board and Finance. This includes:
- regulatory oversight of insurers operating in Alberta
- prudential supervision of provincially-incorporated insurance companies
Compliance activities undertaken by the Superintendent ensure that insurance companies treat Albertans fairly. They include:
- responding to consumer inquiries about the conduct of insurance companies in Alberta
- performing insurer examinations
- interpreting legislation
The Assistant Deputy Minister of Financial Sector Regulation and Policy is responsible for:
- developing insurance policy for the insurance market in the province
- making recommendations to the President of Treasury Board and Minister of Finance
- insurance information for insurers
- insurance information for consumers
- insurance information for health care practitioners
Items are removed from this list after 12 months and listed on relevant web pages in this section.
- Insurance Company List updated – September 14, 2021:
- Insurers, Reciprocal Insurance Exchanges, and Fraternal Societies – Licensed in Alberta (PDF, 348 KB) – Includes Insurance Classes, Attorney for Service – the person delegated to accept service of legal papers – and contact information for Complaint Liaison Officers.
- Insurance Company List updated – September 7, 2021:
- Insurers, Reciprocal Insurance Exchanges, and Fraternal Societies – No Longer Licensed in Alberta (PDF, 343 KB) – Includes those that have withdrawn, amalgamated or changed names. Licences are issued on a calendar year basis – January 1 to December 31.
- Financial Data for Alberta Incorporated Insurance Companies: 2020 annual reports – April 19, 2021
- Interpretation Bulletin 02-2021 - Submitting Notices of Appeal of Insurance Council Decisions (PDF, 427 KB) – February 26, 2021
- Superintendent of Insurance Enforcement Activities – February 8, 2021
- Interpretation Bulletin 01-2021 - Alberta Standard Automobile Insurance Policy Forms (SPFs) - amendments effective May 1, 2021 (PDF, 449 KB) – February 1, 2021
- Guideline to Intervention for Alberta’s P&C Insurers – January 19, 2021
- Notice 05-2020 - Revoking previous Notices on Rating Territories and Usage Based Insurance for Private Passenger Vehicles (PDF, 325 KB) – December 11, 2020
- This notice informs stakeholders of changes to rating territories and usage based insurance as a result of legislative and regulatory changes, which transfers authority to the Automobile Insurance Rate Board for rating programs and approvals.
- Bulletin 04-2020 - Additional automobile insurance reform measures (PDF, 406 KB) – December 16, 2020 – this bulletin summarizes changes to:
- the Insurance Act arising from Bill 41: Insurance (Enhancing Driver Affordability and Care) Amendment Act, 2020, and
- the Automobile Insurance Premiums Regulation (AIPR)
- 2019 Superintendent of Insurance Annual Report – December 10, 2020
- Bulletin 03-2020 - Best Terms Pricing (to all licensed property insurers underwriting subscription condominium corporation insurance policies in Alberta) (PDF, 424 KB) – December 1, 2020
- Bulletin 02-2020: Automobile Insurance Reform Measures (PDF, 377 KB) – November 13, 2020
- Bulletin 01-2020: Minor Injury Regulation – Annual Increase in Amount for Non-pecuniary Damages - effective January 1, 2021 (PDF, 385 KB)
- Financial Data for Alberta Incorporated Insurance Companies: 2020 second quarter reports – September 9, 2020
- Financial Data for Alberta Incorporated Insurance Companies: 2020 first quarter reports – June 4, 2020
- Minor Injury - Certified Examiner Register – updated May 22, 2020
- Minor Injury - Physical Therapists Register – updated May 8, 2020
The Superintendent of Insurance annual reports contain a summary of insurance business in Alberta for the year, summary of licences issues under the Insurance Act, statistical review, list of insurance companies licenced in Alberta and abstracts of returns.
Note: annual statements of provincial companies are included in the annual reports for 2000 to 2007. For 2008 onward, see available financial data.
- Alberta Insurance Council – licensing information, complaints
- Continuing Education for Agents and Adjusters
- Alberta Automobile Insurance Rate Board
- Assuris – Protecting Your Life Insurance
- Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association Inc.
- Canadian Council of Insurance Regulators
- General Insurance Statistical Agency
- Insurance Brokers Association of Alberta
- Insurance Bureau of Canada
- Non-Profit Sector Insurance Toolkit – Guide for Non-Profits and Charities (PDF, 370 KB) – prepared by the Alberta Voluntary Sector Insurance Council by the Calgary Chamber of Voluntary Organizations, March 23, 2006
- OSFI - Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada
- Property and Casualty Insurance Compensation Corp. (PACICC)
If you have trouble opening fillable PDF forms, see the PDF instructions.
Connect with the Office of the Alberta Superintendent of Insurance:
Alberta Superintendent of Insurance
Alberta Treasury Board and Finance
Financial Sector Regulation and Policy
402 Terrace Building
9515 107 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2C3
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.