To ensure property owners have a voice in the property assessment system, the Municipal Government Act has set out a complaints and appeals system for property owners who have concerns about their assessment.
To obtain information on your property assessment or on filing a complaint, contact your municipality at the address or telephone number printed on your assessment notice or tax notice. Your municipality may also provide detailed information on their website.
Assessment complaints involve filing a complaint with your municipality's assessment review board. The type of property the complaint is about will determine the type of assessment review board that will hear your complaint.
A Local Assessment Review Board will hear complaints for residential property with:
- 3 or fewer dwelling units
- a tax notice other than a property tax notice
A Composite Assessment Review Board will hear complaints for residential property with:
- 4 or more dwelling units
- non-residential property
Assessment review board members and clerks are required to complete the training program approved by the minister of Municipal Affairs.
You may file an application for judicial review with the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench to determine if the assessment review board has acted in a fair, reasonable and lawful manner.
For further information, consult Part 11 of the Municipal Government Act and the Matters Relating to Assessment Complaints Regulation.
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
- Compliance Review Form (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Assessment Review Board Complaint Form (PDF, 183 KB)
- Assessment Complaints Agent Authorization Form (PDF, 23 KB)
- Assessment Complaint Dates for 2021 (PDF, 265 KB)
The following assessment bulletins are available on the open government portal:
- Assessment notice – Date by which a complaint must be made (IB Bulletin No. 10-05)
- Assessment Complaints and Appeals System (IB Bulletin No. 08-01)
- Amendment to the Assessment Complaints and Appeals Regulation (AR 238/2000) (IB Bulletin No. 07-07)
Connect with the Assessment Services Branch:
15th Floor, Commerce Place
10155 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L4