Skip to content

Individual mitigation measures for homes

Homeowners in designated flood fringe areas have until March 31, 2014 to apply for municipal permits for DRP flood mitigation work or to submit an intent to mitigate.

Updated: March 11, 2014

Preparing for floods starts with the individual. For homes with a high risk of being impacted by future floods, there are actions home owners should undertake:

  • refinish basements with materials that resist water damage and are cleanable
  • seal openings in basements to prevent seepage
  • protect or move electrical services located in basements
  • protect plumbing equipment from backflow into sewers

What is Alberta doing?

We have already released updated flood mitigation building codes for homes in flood fringes and for those conducting repairs, and funding is available to assist with both.


  • Applying for a Flood Mitigation Permit for repairs: March 31, 2014
  • Completing mitigation work: December 31, 2014.

Submit a Notice of Intent to Mitigate form (PDF, 1 page) to the Disaster Recovery Program if you cannot get the work permits you need by March 31, 2014.

How it works

Albertans who experienced flood damage in flood fringes can use Disaster Recovery Program funds to install flood mitigation measures to your homes and businesses.

These flood mitigation measures apply to you if you:

  • own property in a flood fringe area
  • had damage caused by the June 2013 floods
  • are eligible for the 2013 Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) in southern Alberta or Wood Buffalo

Enhanced flood mitigation measures are available for homes and small businesses that were damaged beyond repair and qualify for the Disaster Recovery Program. Enhanced flood mitigation measures require substantial alterations to the home or building, which is why existing buildings that do not require a rebuild are not eligible.

Floodways post the highest risks to property, human health and human safety and the environment. No development is recommended here, and will not be allowed there in the future.

Flood fringes can support some development, like housing, if flood mitigation measures are used.

Flood mitigation for homes and buildings

Information for homeowners and small businesses located in the flood fringe regarding the minimum flood mitigation measures to satisfy conditions for future Disaster Recovery Program funding.
» Flood Mitigation Building Code Standards STANDATA (August 15, 2013)

Information for homeowners located in the flood fringe regarding the minimum flood mitigation measures for complete rebuilds to satisfy conditions for future Disaster Recovery Program funding.

» Complete rebuild Flood Mitigation Building Code Standards STANDATA (September 13, 2013)

Specific questions about building materials and permits that will meet the minimum flood mitigation measures for homes in a flood fringe can be directed to the Alberta Municipal Affairs Safety Services Branch at 1-866-421-6929.


When making repairs, ensure you or your contractor obtains work permits required by your municipality and have the work inspected. You will need these permits to prove the mitigation standards have been met.

» Tips on finding a qualified contractor.

How to access funding

Funding for minimum mitigation measures is available through the Disaster Recovery Program. You must have applied to the DRP by November 30, 2013 and indicated that you are going to put minimum flood mitigation measures in place.

The deadline for applying for a Flood Mitigation Permit (STANDATA) for repairs is March 31, 2014. The deadline to complete the work and have a safety codes officer approve the work is December 30, 2014.

Land titles

If a home that received Disaster Recovery Program funding following the recent floods is repaired, restored or rebuilt in a floodway or if the minimum mitigation measures in the flood fringe are not met, a notice will stay on the land title stating that funding was received and the property will not be eligible for future flood-related disaster program funding.

For flood fringe properties, the notice will not be put on the land title if the required mitigation is completed in a timely fashion. Owners in the flood fringe are expected to secure permits for the mitigation work by March 31, 2014, and to complete the mitigation work by December 31, 2014. Only owners who are not able to provide documentation (i.e. inspection reports) of completed work following the December 31, 2014, deadline, or when their DRP file is formally closed, will have a notice placed on their title.

Property owners in the floodway or flood fringe who received an advanced Disaster Recovery Program payment may return the payment if they wish to avoid the Disaster Recovery Program notice.