- Job Title: Ministry ARTS Administrator
- Work Unit: Deputy Minister's Office
- Ministry: Alberta Infrastructure
- Competition Number: 1055784
The ARTS Administrator is a primary ministry contact for Ministerial Action Requests (including letters, e-mails, Briefing Notes and Memos). The Administrator liaises with the Minister's Office and Senior Correspondence Advisor to clarify requests and then assigns each Action Request (AR) to one or more divisions for response. All responses are reviewed by this position to ensure they conform to expected standards prior to the final sign off and presentation to the Minister's Office. The review encompasses the formatting and related editing; ensuring the appropriate template and style are used; and, ensuring required timelines for submission are met. Issues are flagged for the Senior Correspondence Advisor and/or Manager, Strategic Issues and Operations and/or Chief of Staff's attention or addressed directly by the incumbent. The Administrator also provides advice and guidance to ministry staff regarding ARTS and assists in troubleshooting.
All responsibilities are completed within the framework of existing ARTS policies, processes, and guidelines, Secure Document Handling guidelines, FOIP legislation, Minister's Style Guide, and operational plans of the Deputy Minister's Office.
Responsibilities and Activities
Assigns ARs to the appropriate division(s) for preparation of response.
- Review incoming correspondence, including the original and any subsequent related correspondence
- Liaise with the Minister's Office to clarify the question and scope of information required by the Minister
- Ensure ARTS logs have complete information and instructions
- Distribute ARs to one or more divisions for response generation
- Liaise with division staff as needed regarding timely processing and coordination of responses to ensure timelines are not jeopardized
- Prepare and distribute reports to division to Identify the status of various responses in ARTS
- Raise awareness to the Senior Correspondence Advisor of potential conflicts regarding documents and timelines
- Close and cancel ARs when advised
- Administers actions requests logged through the Secure Document SharePoint site and ensures the appropriate information and instructions are provided to staff for completion.
Review and monitor all responses for timelines and quality to foster the highest standards for Information presented to the Minister.
- Review all documents submitted by divisions, signed by the ADM, for quality of response - content, context, grammar, and format
- Work with divisions directly to resolve straightforward issues (e.g., grammar, format, some straightforward content)
- Flag issues to be addressed by the Senior Correspondence Advisor on more sensitive issues (e.g., content)
- Maintain tracking systems to track 'bring forward' and 'signature pending' status of alt ARs to ensure compliance with timelines
- Pull together the ministerial Action Request packages to go forward for signature
- Respond and negotiate with department staff requesting extensions to AR due date/timelines
Develops and delivers ARTS training initiatives across the department and supports execution of special projects within the DMO.
- Supports the Senior Correspondence Advisor in development and delivery of strategic ARTs training across the department.
- Delivers ARTs user training for staff in the department and develops ARTs capacity.
- Participates in continuous improvement initiatives led by the DMO and supports implementation of solutions.
- This position maintains a good working relationship with colleagues across the department, informing them about guidelines, ARTS best practices, deadlines, and Deputy Minister and Minister preferences.
- Serves as an ambassador for the DMO on cross government committees and the department.
- Stays abreast of Infrastructure related issues to edit ministerial documents with a critical and informed eye.
- Establishes effective working relationships with clients such as the department and the Minister's office by providing information, advice, and service
- Extensive knowledge of ARTS, Secure Document SharePoint, Canadian Press style, writing guides, and the preferences of Minister and Deputy Minister
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge and use of ARTS
- Knowledge of FOIP and how it impacts responses to Action Requests and briefings
- Knowledge of the Government Records Management Guidelines - returning/closing in ARTs and compilation of required documents for filing with central records
- Ability to maintain confidence regarding sensitive and highly confidential information
- Organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and process large volumes of correspondence and ARs quickly and accurately to meet daily and weekly timelines
- Strong interpersonal skills to ensure correspondence is handled by appropriate department resources within set timelines
- Ability to work as a team player with minimal supervision
- Computer skills including ability to work effectively and efficiently with word processing software, ARTS, Microsoft Outlook, etc.
- Strong analytical skills to appropriately assign ARs and identify trends
- Minister's Office - accept Action Requests, and clarify questions/scope of response needed
- Division ADMs Offices - distribute ARs; raise and resolve issues with division staff regarding Action Request responses; track and monitor completion dates for all ARs
- Ministry staff - respond to queries; provide troubleshooting or coaching on how to use ARTS
- Cross ministry reams - collaborate on ARTS issue resolution, information sharing, and bet practices
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit the Diversity and Inclusion Policy.