- Job Title: Guest Services Specialist
- Work Unit: Alberta Parks - William Watson Lodge
- Ministry: Alberta Environment and Parks
- Competition Number: 1054491
This Guest Services Specialist position reports to the Guest Service supervisor and Team Lead - William Watson Lodge and is part of a team that is responsible for ensuring the William Watson Lodge has positive, effective and efficient interaction and communication with guests, the general public, and other stakeholders. This position is responsible for the successful delivery of the Guest Services and Guest Services consistent with the WWL Operational Plan. The position is responsible for delivery of visitor information services, lodging procedures and reservations, as well as collaboratively developing specific experience oriented accessibility programs within WWL and Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. The position has considerable independence within well-established guidelines and procedures and is important in ensuring the WWL continues to be an inclusive, responsive and innovative year-round accessible facility for all visitors. Weekend scheduling and evening shift work are required.
Responsibilities and Activities
Provide guests services, information services and reception for WWL, Peter Lougheed Provincial Park and area.
- Provide professional and courteous in-person, telephone, and e-mail information on lodging facilities, recreational activities, camping facilities, trail conditions, public safety issues, tourism and travel opportunities and general area information.
- Efficiently check in and check out guests following outlined check in and check out procedures.
- Handle lodging payments and other financial transactions related to lodging and main lodge rentals.
- Efficiently operate a multi-line telephone system, which requires updates of the WWL voice-mail system.
- Update current trail and weather reports, site and area event schedules on public information board and site kiosks to provide the public with current information.
- Record and report necessary safety, accident, or wildlife occurrence information.
- Monitoring and responding to Parks radio frequency, communicating with relevant and suitable radio language.
- Receive and appropriately handle guest’s comments and complaints.
Implement procedures for reservations and reservation system.
- Answer phone calls on booking day and complete reservation cards for all bookings.
- Work within the reservations team to input bookings into database.
- Accurately record and maintain reservations system with support of Guest Services Supervisor.
- Support the Guest Services Supervisor in developing accurate, organized, and easily accessible reservation processes and systems.
Prepare and support the accessibility programs and experiences for guests and visitors
- Work to collaborate and book relevant and organized accessibility programs.
- Organize and maintain accessibility equipment and borrowing / rental program.
- Work on special accessibility projects (i.e. playgrounds, equipment) as requested.
Provide general office administrative support
- Equipment sign-out procedures.
- Review and respond to e-mail requests and inquiries.
- Record and compile monthly and yearly statistical site usage reports for lodging and main lodge.
- Update internal communication sheets. (including call out cards for maintenance, snow-crew, caretakers)
- Opening and closing the facility in a timely manner, and alarming building when necessary.
- Other duties as requested.
Assistance with William Watson Lodge Society programs, practices, and donations.
- Distributing & collecting of donation request forms.
- Preparing (and distributing) approved donations and entry into donation tracking spreadsheet.
Assistance with volunteer program
- Sign in and out of volunteers and campground hosts.
- Entry of volunteer information, hours reporting, etc.
- Administering volunteer rewards program.
Occupational Health & Safety
- Support OH&S onsite program for WWL.
- Participate in site inspections.
- Maintain and inventory materials and equipment for First Aid room.
- Review and update site Facility Emergency Response Plan.
Public Safety and Emergency Procedure
- Respond to on-site emergencies including first responder medical and health concerns.
- Scheduled and regular overnight emergency standby for on-site emergencies and public safety concerns.
- Follow emergency procedures and response for on-site emergencies involving people, infrastructure, surrounding environment and/or wildlife.
The position impacts the service excellence in relation to lodging experience, information, programming and guest services provided to the visitors and guests to the William Watson Lodge, Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, Kananaskis Country and the general area. This position requires significant time management and prioritizing skills. The position requires a considerable amount of co-ordination and communication skills to ensure that other team members are kept informed of and supported by the duties of this position. This position plays a pivotal role in building positive relationships with park visitors and stakeholders as well as building a collaborative team environment onsite at WWL. The position reports to the guest Services supervisor and takes direction from the Team Lead - William Watson Lodge. Although this position is performed within well-established guidelines and procedures, it requires considerable overall awareness of the functioning and co-ordination of the site as a whole, and creative, independent decision making is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The position requires a strong working knowledge of the lodging and recreational opportunities and facilities available to visitors and guests of the William Watson Lodge, Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, Kananaskis Country, and area. The position also requires working knowledge of best practice as it relates to accessibility and programming for persons with disabilities and seniors. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required for professionalism in dealing with the public and colleagues. Strong computer skills are required with proficiency with Microsoft Office software consisting of Word, Excel and Outlook. Good organizational skills and the ability to communicate with and work in a team environment are also requirements for this position. A high school diploma, good working knowledge of front desk procedures, reconciliation processes, cash handling, and credit card systems and one-year of related experience are also required.
This is a front line position interacting daily with William Watson Lodge guests and visitors. The position also works directly and on a daily basis with maintenance, caretaking, and other guests’ services staff at WWL. This position also maintains regular communication with Public Engagement staff in Kananaskis Region, William Watson Lodge Society, accessibility partners, and other parks sections.
This position does not formally supervise any staff, however the position provides leadership in projects in which one or more of the following may be supervised:
- Casual Employees, Campground Hosts, and additional volunteers
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit the Diversity and Inclusion Policy.