- Job Title: Disability Management Consultant
- Work Unit: Labour & Employment Practice/Employee Relations Services
- Ministry: Alberta Public Service Commission
- Competition Number: 1052961
Reporting to the Director, Employee Relations Services, this position provides advice and guidance to ministry clients on all aspects of Disability Management including disability matters, return to work and accommodation processes. The areas of consulting include the Return to Work Guidelines, Duty to Accommodate, Workers’ Compensation Legislation, LTDI Regulation, medical clarifications, Employee and Family Assistance Program and other applicable legislation and best practices.
This position will also be responsible to assist the Employee Relations team as required.
Responsibilities and Activities
- Providing advice and consulting on the collective agreement, legislation, regulations and directives that allow for accurate, creative and practical solutions to worksite situations on complex disability management cases
- Building and fostering relationships with ministry clients, partners, and key stakeholders, to ensure effective communication is maintained
- Work with Service Centres to confirm disability accommodation needs.
- Liaising with benefit providers on a daily basis.
- Advises both Employee Relations Consultants and Senior Employee Relations Consultant on ER/LR issues pertaining disability management issues including grievance support up to arbitration.
- Promote and facilitate a one employer approach to disability management across the Government of Alberta
- Managing data and information systems that allow provisions for research, trend identification and analysis and allows for quality assurance (i.e. tracking accommodations)
- Researches and prepares briefings and responses to significant disability management issues
- Represents on cross-ministry projects or committees ensuring the disability management interests and perspectives are considered and incorporated
- Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of return to work and accommodations outcomes and give direction/advice to any level in the process that ensures a successful and timely return to sustainable employment
- The position is responsible for providing advice and consultation on Disability Management, Return to Work and Accommodation procedures to ministry clients.
- The position works independently and requires extensive creativity and problem solving techniques to ensure successful and sustainable disability management and return to work processes/programs for a diverse employment group in a variety of work settings throughout the province.
- The position is responsible and accountable for providing advice and consultation that aligns with past practices, precedents, HR Directives, case law and various pieces of legislation; however, it must also recognize when a previous approach is no longer suitable, and identify recommendations that are more appropriate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Completion of a related degree in business, social sciences or equivalent.
- Experience planning, organizing, and managing projects.
- Extensive knowledge of the application of the collective agreement, case law, directives, policies, and legislation.
- Strong ability to influence both clients and ERS team members to creative solutions.
- Ability to ask thoughtful questions to understand past precedents and practices.
- Proven relationship management skills required to effectively partner with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation including the Public Service Act, Alberta Human Rights Act, Employment Standards Code, Workers’ Compensation Act, LTDI Regulation, Master Agreement and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and other related legislation.
|Clients||Frequency||Nature and Purpose of Contact|
Assistant Deputy Minister, Labour and Employment Practices
Executive Director, Employee Relations Services
|As required||Advice / recommendations, briefings|
|Director, Employee Relations Services||Weekly||Briefings, guidance and direction provided|
|Manager, Employee Relations Services||Daily||Briefings, guidance and direction, project updates|
|Employee Relations Consultants||Daily||Consultation, issues advice and co-ordination, mentoring and ongoing exchange of information|
|Ministry Directors and Managers||Daily||Consultation, advice, collaboration, issue resolution|
|Sector Human Resources Partners||Weekly||Explanation, information, consultation|
|Other PSC Service Centres including Talent Acquisition & Mobility, Classification||Weekly||Collaboration, information exchange, best practice research, issue resolution|
|Service Alberta (Pay and Benefits)||Weekly||Updates|
|AUPE||Weekly||Collaboration, negotiation, issue resolution|
|Benefit providers (Great West Life, WCB)||Daily||Updates|
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit the Diversity and Inclusion Policy.