- Job Title: Tester
- Work Unit: HIS / SIMT Services / Quality Assurance and Testing
- Ministry: Alberta Health
- Competition Number: 1052247
Reporting to the Testing Team Lead and working under the guidance of a Test Analyst of the Alberta Health (AH) Testing Centre of Excellence, this System Analyst fulfills a diverse range of roles requiring broad knowledge and experience in a variety of areas that include testing principles, methodologies, standards, facilitation skills, project management principles and training skills. The System Analyst 1 is responsible for participation in the development, implementation and support of Testing Standards, including User Acceptance Testing (UAT) and Conformance Testing.
The position is an experienced Information Technology (IT) resource working on a team that is involved in the planning, development and execution of testing. Responsible for ensuring testing quality for all AH and 3rd party vendor application development and enhancements to ensure integrated business solutions are delivered according to defined specifications that meet user needs. The System Analyst / helps to ensure IT development and enhancement projects result in premium IT service delivery, enable/achieve business priorities and contribute to the IT Branch and Alberta Health success.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing support to ensure that IT initiatives are aligned with, and achieve department goals and priorities.
- Maintaining and providing support on AH testing standards.
- Participating in AH test planning and preparation reviews to ensure continuous improvement in project delivery.
- Participate in AH Testing Framework reviews to provide feedback and assist with designing effective and efficient testing processes that support IT application development and enhancement functions. Assist and provide input on recommendations for the processes that will improve the IT business units' and supplier's abilities to deliver testing services that increase efficiency and meet department objectives. This entails a basic understanding of the current technical environment, organization business processes, applicable policies and guidelines to ensure full coverage of all quality tests to meet quality objectives.
- Providing support and training on testing standards to internal business and external stakeholders
- Assist with coordinating and carrying out testing audits and assist with testing post implementation reviews.
- Developing and executing acceptance and conformance testing and providing technical support for test tools and testing, and test data tools.
- Leading the identification of Test Analyst training and professional development activities that will allow for maintenance and advancement of professional and job related skills.
Responsibilities and Activities
Provide testing technical support for application development and enhancement teams and contribute to a base of testing practices that can be shared and reused.
- Contribute to the overall strategic direction of testing through participation in strategic and operational planning and priority setting activities.
- Participate and assist in reviews and provide input and lessons learned for existing AH testing guidelines, standards and processes to ensure standards are up to date and there is continuous improvement.
- Maintain and support reusability of test deliverables such as test plans, test cases, test automation and defect reporting.
- Support and assist with UAT training to business application teams on AH best practices in planning and executing testing.
- Maintain current technical knowledge of applications & environments.
- Maintain current knowledge and provide technical support on AH testing guidelines, standards, and processes, including current testing & data creation tools, and test environments.
- Maintain testing technical skills related to information technology by using self-study, classroom and on the job training techniques as required and recommended by supervisor.
- Maintain current knowledge and provide support on setting up testing environments that include DB2 & Oracle; scripting languages; Web server platforms; server & desktop operating systems; Citrix; VPN;; and test data, including development and maintenance of test data creation tools using Java, SQL, XML, scripting languages, Access, Oracle and DB2.
- Maintain a good knowledge of Project Management Office (PMO) processes to apply to any application development and enhancements.
- Contribute to building a high performance, professional level team with high level diversified skills in project and facilitation management through leadership of Testers.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned by Team Lead. Manage the day-to-day activities, deliverables and issues for the testing unit in the absence of the test analyst and/or team lead as required.
Provide support for AH testing activities for application development and enhancements.
- Develop, support and execute acceptance testing following established guidelines, standards and processes including ambiguity analysis, developing test plans, and test data, and using test tools for application development and enhancements tools.
- Participate in research on best practices for continuous improvement to testing functions through an awareness of developments in the IT Industry and related functions. Make presentations to actively share knowledge. Keep abreast of IM/IT best practices, current/emerging technologies and techniques to better address functional and business requirements of stakeholders.
- Maintain a high level of technical expertise by being aware of new and changing technology.
- Review and interpret all documentation related to testing, to ensure documented requirements are verifiable, able to be tested and provide input to the application development and enhancement teams regarding the planning of testing activities.
- Participate in user acceptance test planning and preparation reviews to ensure continuous improvements in project deliverables and processes.
- Participate and provide support for testing standards in Joint Application Design (JAD) sessions, working with business, project and vendor resources, to provide insight during requirements gathering and design development.
- Provide technical support and guidance for business community to document functional test scenarios, and user acceptance testing criteria.
- Provide support for developing formal test plans that are reviewed and approved by the application development and enhancement teams.
- Provide technical support and assist with documenting problems from a UAT perspective and determining their resolutions.
- Create test cases, test data, and test results for applications under development, including enhancements and defect fixes.
- Analyze and validate testing results using manual procedures, testing tools, and SQL queries.
- Participate as part of a team to implement and execute a metrics program to measure testing quality assurance activities.
- Track, and report quality metrics such as defects, defect counts, test results and test status.
- Ensure testing takes place within agreed timeframes and final test reports are created and communicated.
- Maintain, provide support and execute the established automated test scripts using automation tools such as Selenium, SoapUI and scripting languages.
- Conduct User Acceptance Testing, and/or Conformance testing (e.g. by means of knowing and using Health Level 7 methodology model, XML, Shell Scripts, DB2, SQL, Citrix, VPN & HTML).
- Participate and/or lead in testing lessons learned meetings after project completion.
- Coordinate the migration of system tested code into user acceptance testing environment, performing build verification of the system prior to testing by the business.
- Provide input into and/or create estimates for the testing effort.
- Identify areas of weakness (technology, skills or business knowledge) that may affect success of project, recommend contingencies and implement where appropriate.
- Provide technical IT support in Java, XML and other scripting languages in the creation and use of test data creation tools.
- Participate and/or lead in transitioning testing artefacts, tools and training to application maintenance and business subject matter experts.
- Participate in the maintenance and enhancement support services for existing systems, and for new systems.
Application Development and Enhancement test audits.
- Maintain knowledge and provide support for testing audit processes to application development and enhancement teams.
- Provide support and input for test strategies and test plan coverage.
- Analyze and make recommendations on requirement traceability matrix created by projects and/or business application areas.
- Participate in reviews of requirement traceability matrices created by development and enhancement teams and/or business application areas.
- Provide support for preparing of audit testing gates (e.g. unit, performance stress and load, system, & UAT).
Maintain communications between internal IT teams, application business teams, and application development and maintenance teams, vendor teams and project teams.
- Collaborate with developers and business analysts for incident resolution.
- Provide information on testing schedules and deadlines to assist teams in setting priorities between releases, projects and applications.
- Provide status reports on the testing progress to managers and team leads.
- Identify human resource problems that may affect success of project, discuss impacts with Test Analyst or Team Lead for resolution.
- Consult with AH application and project team members.
- Provide input for presentation material, correspondence, agendas, minutes, and discussion and background documents.
- Carry out training to business application teams and new staff on AH best practices in planning and executing testing
- Participate in the orientation of new user acceptance testers and/or staff.
- Maintain and create testing training materials.
- Provide support for training, documentation and mentoring for the transition of testing services to business stewards and subject matter experts.
Work with Divisional technical analysts to provide input for improving processes and input into technical solutions.
- Work with technical analysts (Production Management, Architecture Services, Application Maintenance Services, Application Development Services) improving existing technology solutions and resolving technical issues.
- Look for opportunities and issues that can be communicated to supervisor to improve operational, maintenance or project processes.
- Participate in post implementation reviews to analyze and recommend improvements on subsequent application development and enhancement projects.
Execute and provide support for Testing Tools and Automation for application maintenance or changes and projects.
- Provide expertise and support application stewards and project teams in the use of testing tools.
- Provide support for business processes and improvements with defect management tool and test management tool, including:
- Set up new project and user access
- Work with GOA Service desk, IBM, and Atlassian to resolve issues related to security, performance, stability and usability.
- Implement improvement including modification to workflow and business processes
- Conduct training sessions for internal and external users
- Participate and/or lead in evaluation of testing tools as required.
- Provide support with Java, XML, scripting languages and SQL in support of the test team’s use of automated tools, test scripts and creation of test data.
- Provide input and feedback on the use of current testing tools for continuous improvement.
- Assist with review and analysis of test plans, manual test cases, test data and test results for application systems after development to determine scope of scripts to be automated.
- Assist with technical support and solutions for testing issues.
- Identify, maintain and track automated tool defects identified in testing cycles.
- Provide support, such as training, documentation and mentoring to test teams executing automated test scripts.
- Provide statistics for execution (e.g. hours of development and maintenance, # of tests automated, # defects found, and # of hours to execute, #of hours saved).
- The internal and external areas the job impacts are the business teams, and the development and maintenance teams of applications from Alberta Health (AH) and Alberta Health Services (AHS).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A University Degree or Diploma in Computer Science or a directly related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience using development and testing tools/technology such as:
- SFTP, FTP, Microsoft Office (i.e. Excel, Word, Visio, and Project Management)
- Test Automation Tools (i.e. TestComplete, Test Studio, Selenium, JUnit, JMeter)
- Languages and other Tools (Java, SQL, HTML XML, XMLSpy, Jekins)
- Scripting Languages (VBScript, Shell Script, Java Script, JScript)
- Knowledge of development tools/technology such as:
- Programming Tools (Eclipse, Visual Studio)
- Databases (DB2, DB4, SQL Server, Oracle, MS Access)
- Web Server platforms (Websphere, Apache, IIS)
- Knowledge of infrastructure technologies and tools such as:
- Server operating system (Mainframe/MVS, UNIX, Microsoft Windows)
- Client operating systems (MAC & Microsoft Windows)
- Networking, virtualization environments, Citrix and VPN, memory, CPU and I/O loads or thresholds.
- Knowledge of HL7 v2.x, HL7 v3, and HL7 v3 methodology/reference information model.
- Knowledge and experience establishing and/or executing the following test phases: Unit Testing, Performance, Stress and Load Testing, Integration Testing, Regression Testing. System Testing and User Acceptance Testing.
- Knowledge and experience preparing and using test strategies, plans, scenarios/cases and test data.
- Strong analytical and research skills to identify, analyze and resolve problems or review and evaluate users' requirements and interpret system specifications.
- Strong interpersonal, problem solving, organizational and planning skills, and the ability to work in a team environment to ensure that business needs are addressed.
- Creativity and initiative in preparing test scenarios and test data
- Knowledge and experience working in a testing role on enhancements and projects
- Knowledge of project management methodologies and skills
- Ability to provide user support and training
- Knowledge of complex business process is required to understand user requirements, resolve issues and improve operations. (i.e.: mainframe and web based environments)
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills, good judgement, tact and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in team settings, with little precedence and work well in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to learn quickly
- Demonstrate self-motivation, initiative, co-operation and teamwork.
- Sound knowledge of medical terminology.
- Planning and estimating skills
- Ability to work with constraints of deadlines
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and applications with varying priorities
- Considerable in-depth knowledge of ministry acts, regulations, policies and procedures, including:
- Health Information Act
- Health Insurance Premiums Regulation
- Alberta Health Care Insurance Regulation
- Health Information Regulation
- Hospitals Act
- Health Insurance Premiums Act
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Trilateral Agreement
Business, development, maintenance and other technical teams within Alberta Health and external stakeholders such as Alberta Health Services and 3rd party vendors.
- Work with and assist in the development and execution of testing for application development and enhancements.
- Interact with technology vendors to keep current on new technologies applicable to application development and testing.
Internal relationships involve:
- Application Maintenance & Business Support (AMBS)
- Information Planning
- Mail Management Center (Service Alberta)
- Provincial Registries Operations and Planning
- Physician Compensation Design
- Correspondence & Document Design
- Health Care Provider Compensation
- Privacy & Security
- Project Management Office (PMO)
- Application Management Services
- Architecture and Delivery Services
- Information Compliance and Access
- Production Management
- EHR Delivery Services
- Consumer eHealth
External relationships involve:
- Alberta Blue Cross
- Service Alberta
- IBM (Managed Operations)
- Ministry of Seniors Housing
- Ministry of Education
- Alberta Health Services
- Regional Health Authorities
- Auditor General
- Conformance vendors
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit the Diversity and Inclusion Policy.