Develops intergovernmental strategies on issues of importance to Alberta and Canada, with its partners, clients and stakeholders, to address challenges and take advantage of and grow opportunities. They coordinate Alberta's leadership and participation within the Canadian federation in pursuit of a federal system that best serves the needs of Albertans and Canadians.
- managing Alberta's partnerships with other provinces and the federal government
- coordinating Alberta's participation in national and provincial forums
- negotiating and finalizing agreements with other provinces and the federal government
First Ministers' Meetings
A First Ministers' Meeting is a gathering of the Prime Minister and provincial and territorial premiers. These meetings are called by the Prime Minister to discuss issues of national importance and concern.
First Ministers' Meetings are not regularly scheduled and are therefore not as frequent as other intergovernmental meetings, like annual Premiers' conferences and Council of the Federation.
Council of the Federation
The Council of the Federation comprises Canada's 13 provincial and territorial Premiers and is a forum for provincial and territorial premiers to discuss and work together on issues of mutual interest or concern. These issues include improving relationships between provinces, improving trade between provinces, sharing best practices, and reform of the Canadian Federation.
Western Premiers' Conference
The Western Premiers' Conference is held annually and allows premiers and governments from Canada's four western provinces (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba) and three territorial governments (Northwest Territories, Yukon, Nunavut) to work together on important issues.
Through the Western Premiers' Conference, the western premiers are committed to advancing mutual interests to sustain the West's continued vitality as the economic engine of Canada.
The chair of the Western Premiers' Conference rotates on an annual basis. The 2016 Western Premiers' Conference will be hosted by British Columbia.
News: Economy Tops Western Premiers' Agenda (June 1, 2015)
Related news and information
- Alberta-Manitoba Memorandum of Understanding (Jan 8, 2016)
- Alberta advances strategic partnership with New Brunswick (Oct 29, 2015)
- Premier's adopt Canadian Energy Strategy (July 17, 2015)
- Premier Couillard welcomes Alberta's new Premier, Rachel Notley (July 14, 2015)